zjpeter's pico reef build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by zjpeter, Aug 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

since my 50 was my first true run at SW, i have worked covertly on most of it and failed to share the many pictures you fine reefers deserve (cardinal sin) but i am prideful and my ego would not let me air out my many wrong turns and hiccups along the way. i have since learned my lesson and therefore will attempt to make it up to you by presenting, "ZJPETER'S PICO REEF BUILD!"

i had this crappy Eclipse Hex5 sitting around trying to be a pod farm when i realized "hey, this should totally go on my desk and be another excuse to waste my money on!" so i wiped it down, painted it up, stole some sand from the 50 and got some cheap dry rock. the only equipment running is the dodgy bio wheel filter, a 50/50 coral light compact and an airstone because i didn't know what else to do for flow *shrugs*

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

Awsome! 'can't wait to see it.

4. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

so heres the deal. i've gotten a lot of good advice and i've begun compiling a perspective stock list. i need some suggestions about what i should add to this little puppy to make her shine! keep in mind, my wife is the Veto Queen on this project since it is "her" tank. she can deny anything that is too expensive or not CUTE enough. this might be a loooong ride...

Livestock:
    2 Sexy Anemone Shrimp
    1 Bumble Bee Snail
    1-2 Spiny Astrea Snails if needed
    a crab or two if needed

Coral:
    Green and Blue Mushrooms from the 50
    Misc Zoas from the 50
    if i get REALLY brave i might frag a head off my frogspawn

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Sounds like a good stocking list for that tank to me, especially as they are coming from an existing set up ( sound economics there)

how big is it? how much water? a K Nano or one of those Minijets might be OK as far as flow is concerned

Steve

6. dorian

dorian Feather Duster

"Veto queen"...I'm gonna use that! ;)

7. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

it's only a five gallon tank.

i think the mushrooms and stars will be ok for the time being, but i might hold off on moving the zoas until i can get a little flow in there.

this project is running along side my overflow and sump project which should be wrapping up tomorrow or the next. after that i'll be doing some fragging and swapping. hopefully i'll get a few pictures up by the weekend.

8. Click Here!

9. kyanjesse

kyanjesse Flamingo Tongue

love your hex! more and more people are setting up pico tanks. cant wait to see yours all filled up.

10. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

alright, slight change of plans, it looks like i'm going through a little bit of a cycle. i didn't know if stealing sand would stir anything up but it looks like it has. things are on hold until my params settle down a bit...

11. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

Whatever happened to your progect? Ive got a little 5.5 eclipes bowfront i was thinking about setting up...

12. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone