Zetlight ZP3500-SPS LED on a 4x2x2 reef display

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nickwynn, Mar 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nickwynn

nickwynn Plankton

Hey reefers. Is there anyone out there running the Zetlight ZP3500-SPS LED on a 4x2x2 reef display or similar.

I just purchased this LED for my new reef I am setting up and was wondering if there was any feedback / reviews on this LED light in general and also any hints and learnings about hanging the light (which I intend to do); i.e. what hanging height above the water level do people tend to use?; the spread of light around the tank?; and also the light regime and settings people are running?. I am assured by the shop I purchased the light from that one light is enough for a 4x2x2 foot tank but given the light is only 40cm by 15cm it is hard to believe..?! - any thoughts...

Thanks heaps for any advice anyone can offer.
    Nick (an LED novice - last time I played with reefs, Blue Actinics were the cutting edge .... [​IMG] )

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Look on the contest archive board. There's a member that won one of those in our zetlight contest. He might be able to help you

4. homyg30

homyg30 Feather Duster

I run 2 zet light nanos on a 15 long and love them. Tank is still in cycle stage but i love the looks and the power of these!!! Good luck as i dont know about the model you have..

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

The ZP3500 Should cover about 3 feet of the tank really well. I would imagine in the corners you will have some lower PAR but for the rest of your tank it will be more than enough.

This is a 6 foot tank with the lights right on the frame.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. nickwynn

nickwynn Plankton

Thanks guys all great information and the photo helps. hey ingtar shinowa ... Would you mind explaining what settings and regime you apply and if u are growing SPS. I am also bit concerned that I'll blind my two and for year old when I hang the light but hopefully I won't need to hang too far off the surface.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

this light puts out a lot of PAR so start it low and slowly raise the intensity. I juat try to match it close to 18K OR 20K halides.

8. Click Here!

9. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

10. nickwynn

nickwynn Plankton

thanks will have a look, i thought as much

11. nickwynn

nickwynn Plankton

so it seems that I am left with either lifting the ZP3500 to get a better spread over my tank but reducing PAR intensity as the trade-off or keeping the light as low as possible and reducing the spread but getting max PAR in the middle of my 4x2x2 DT. Any advice - i wonder could i be successful with SPS corals in the middle of my tanks while still lifting the light to get optimum spread across the tank?

12. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

um... I don't think you need to keep it low as from my memory, ZP3500SPS is dishing out pretty good amount of PAR even at 36" deep. You should be fine lift it up a bit higher.
    I would suggest to get another ZP3500SPS to get the best result however, ZP3500SPS has been discountinued.