Zesty's salty underground!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by zesty, Jun 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

So, I've met some fantastic reefers in the area! I also have found some fantastic info here and merging them together has helped me figure out a better/easier way to take care of the reef life. I know I still have a long way to go, but one project at a time. (hopefully)

So, upon buying some used/new equipment, having a great dude (norgs) to help me out!! I wouldn't have made it this far without him and a few others. Norgs put together this sump for me and I'm nothing buy excited about it!

Then last night we installed the RO/DI unit and started pumping out 0 TDS water last night ;D. Thanks again to Norgs, he's been the dude to give me the confidence this can get done. I'm not the best DIY guy, but doing this on a budget gives me no choice. :-/

So, onto the pics, the first is the ro/di in place and working. My only concern is the waste water does not shut up when the float valve is up and the ASO valve shuts the ro/di water, but the waste water still keeps wasting... I can easily shut it off, installed a manual shut off valve for extra security.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all cell phone shots, boo.

Now to the beast of the build! The sump dun dun duuuun. This will be in a closet directly behind the DT (no room under the tank) so I went with a 40 breeder, Norgs was so kind and so talented to create this sump for me!

Here is a pic with the sump in the closet, the Reef octo and a mag 9 for a return pump. What is not shown is the Eshopps PF-800 overflow, tom aqua-lifter and a JBJ ATO. I have "sealed" the room with a sealer that is to prevent moisture to get into the walls. I'm also looking at options to vent out of this room to keep moisture down.
    [​IMG]
    more cell phone shots

So, I don't think I have much to do to get the sump running other than some holes in the wall and plumbing. I have the majority of the plumbing supplies, not I just need to get it done!!

Any idea on going thru the wall, please please let me know! I have one idea, but I'm always open for more! :stars:

Thanks norgs, you have been a great great help through all of this! He even brought over some pink birdsnest for the tank! Can't thank this guy enough!

I suppose I better put a FTS in here for good measure.
    GIF of FTS shot
    It's a gif, I chose this one for it has all 3 fish in there and it's my coral side of the tank!

Thanks for looking and a huge thanks to Norgs!!! :grinthumbs:

I will update this build thread as it goes along. Now that I have the RO/DI setup, I will need to get the salt mixing going and no more trips to the LFS for just water :victory:

I am so excited to get this going, I've been collecting this equipment for this build for about 4 months now. ugg, my patience is being tested to the max!

****Updated album pictures by norg*****************

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Wow Zesty! Your tank looks awesome! Your sump looks pretty sweet also (great job Norg!) Sorry, can't help on the wall question :(

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Looking good man! If only more reefers were as patient as your are. This build is really starting to come together.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you look like your avatar norg? lol....

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Thanks!! Ha, no worries, I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. I'll update when I get that far. I wish I could show the quality on the sump. Norg has skillz!

I am NOT a patient person, this hobby definitely tests that for sure! I was aggravated that the polyps weren't out on the b'nests this morning hahaha. yeah, no patience...

I'm really looking forward to getting that reef octo going and getting everything out of the DT.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

THANK YOU!

I've been wanting to say something to Norg ever since he started using that!

While it kinda looks like Nick (Norg), I've never seen that hat,
    or his eyes cross!

Change it please!!
    ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Looking good Matt!

Yeah that Norg, he's OK in a pinch. ;-)

1 person likes this.
  10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Haha!! He loves to talk reef almost as much as you do Todd!! Both of you guys will have to come over and take a look either during, after or both, I'll just stock the fridge with some cold beers!

Plus I plan on filling my fuge with some cheato and I know someone who has a large ball of it.... hint hint! ;D

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Ahahaha. No I do not. That would be Steve Buscemi from the movie Mr. Deeds, when he played a character amply named "Crazy Eyes." The picture just makes me laugh every time I see it. Hopefully some other people too.

The sump is so close to being online. A big ball of chaeto from Todd will be a great addition, along with your Reef Octo. This sytem is definitely on its way man. Glad to help.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I figure I would throw a real FTS in here. :)
    I'm more than excited to get that POS off the back of the tank! It works, it pulls skimmate, but it's a PITA to clean and don't ever take that collection cup off. There has been more than one time I've been cleaning up water from that connection leaking. :angry: Plus remove the heater and clean up the DT some.

I'll obviously have to leave the maxis in there, I don't like them either, but they were cheap and push water. As long as the suction cups don't lose their grip... :furious2:

Also, the light is a loaner from the place building my new LED lights. Once I have that and this sump rolling, I don't know what I would do? Maybe actually look at the tank! hahahahaha

Thanks for looking!!
    Matt

Attached Files:

• fts.jpeg
      fts.jpeg
      File size:
      246.4 KB
      Views: