Zero edge aquariums?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by NEW REEFER, Jan 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

ZeroEdge Aquarium - Home

My new LFS has one set up. Awesome way to display product. The water flows over the top of the aquarium and over the sides of the tank, making for a crystal clear view. Anyone have one? How do you like it? What would be the possible draw backs of this type of a tank? What does everyone think? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Very cool...id have to see one in person, seems to me that the constant flow over the side of the tank would look blurry when looking straight on. Also..i would be afraid of people dropping pennies into the overflow stand..lol

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I've seen them in person, but would never buy one. You have to worry about coralline and regular algae on both sides. It's hard to get flow in there - pretty much everything has to be provided from sump return. You can't use power heads. If you have flow that is too focused in one area it doesn't overflow properly. This is all stuff I have heard from others in the local club with experience with zero edge aquariums. They are pretty cool though. They look cool but too much of a PITA for me to consider buying one (and there was a very nice large one for sale for cheap at the local frag swap I was eying until I asked about running them).

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The water flowing over makes the glass crystal clear and you never have to clean it. I think they are the most amazing tanks I've seen.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Interesting to hear this side of it. I never thought about algae growth on the outside. I bet you would constantly find snails in the overflow too.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

That was another complaint from others here.

8. Click Here!

9. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Beautiful but ..... just too many variables to overcome with the setup. Imagine how perfectly level it would have to be! I leveled my tank and then when I put water in it was off a little because of the added weight. (Old house is a PITA)

10. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

lfs has one and it is beautiful

11. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

They are nice, but I don't think I would ever want one for myself. My lfs have one with clams in it.

12. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

As someone else mentioned, you can't have any supplemental flow, which limits your livestock choices somewhat. Other than that, they look incredible. I think they are tailor made to be a clam tank where you don't need flow and get the best view from the top down. If I had the room (and wifey would let me) I'd put in a zero-edge clam tank. Looking down on a clam colony is so much more pleasing than from the front and the zero-edge lets you do this.