Zenia changes with pics

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by pecco22, Sep 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

Well I have had this zenia about a month. Since that time I have seen some changes in it. I am not sure if this is normal. I have not seen this before so I thought I would share and get you thoughts.

What has happened is this. The healthy zenia formed bubbles around the middle of the stalk. these bubble were white or clear, they changed to all white and grew larger. then the zenia began to bend, once the white spot hit the LR, it attached itself. is this typical for zenia or corals in general? is this how it moves or reproduces?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Interesting. Would like to know more as well, I just got a new xenia frag last week.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

One of the ways yes. It will also drop stalks. If a fish tears a stalk off it will grow where it lands and if there's not enough light it will climb up to a happy place.

It's a beautiful flowing coral but nearly impossible to control once it takes hold so I suggest getting it onto it's own rock and place it in the sand bed where it can't touch anything.

5. pecco22

I wasnt sure if it was one the ways because I have already seen this coral start 3 or 4 small stalks near its main base. so it seemed odd to me that it would do both at the same time.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

You can't kill that stuff IME. It reproduces and survives in many ways. I put a small 8 head stalk on my main rocks and 6 months later half the rock and 2/3rd's of my back glass were covered in it.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. pecco22

thanks for the quick response. I didnt see many posts on here with the pics of the zenia. so thats why I asked and posted it. thought maybe someone besides me would like to see what it looked like while happening. thanks again