Zebra Stripped Dartfish Jump

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by diverdan, May 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

So today I was hanging out with my daughter and I heard a rustle from the surface of the tank. Got up to look and one of my Dartfish was on the top of my tank. I gently scooped him back in the water. Thinking I don't know why I've put off making the mesh top for the tank. After a bit I was looking and only saw 2 darts and I have 3. Maybe the one that made a leap to dryer pasture was still hiding. The light went off after a while and I thought I'd just check tomorrow because there was no fish anywhere on the floor so I was good. I was doing my regular daily inspections and changing a filter sock when I looked in the fuge and there he was. #3. My sump is directly behind my stand. I thought what luck that he jump and made it in the sump. Luckily he didn't get caught in the return section. Now I have to try to fish him out of the swamp. Not easy because those guys like to bury themselves and will hide in anything.
    Just want to let everyone know that if you have a fish that can possibly jump then it is best to have some sort of lid on your tank. I procrastinated and now I'm kicking myself. Luckily he is still alive and no lives were lost. Again learning a lesson the hard way.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

Well I got him. He is back in the DT. But he didn't go willingly. I basically disturbed everything in my fuge. At least the coral will be happy with the disruption. I'm not. But alls well that ends well. Looks like I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow for clear mesh screen.

Lessons learned. Hopefully my experience will save someone else from making the same mistake.

Good luck and happy reefing.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have a 55 gallon tank in our foyer that has a canopy with glass covers on it. I used 1/4" mesh to close in the back of the canopy. Worked very well so far, although last week while feeding the tank, something set my male Lubbock's Wrasse off, and out he went like a missile! The tank is on our tile flooring, but he actually went carpet surfing, landing in the living room 4 feet away! Scooped him up, and he has been fine since.

5. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Haha 4ft away. That's a champion jumper there. But yea unfortunately most of us do learn the hard way. It's worse if you have other indoor pets. You might not know if the fish ever jumped or just died in the tank.

6. diverdan

Wow. I think he gets the gold for the long jump.

Yes. I hate learning the hard way but its the mistakes we make that we learn from that make us better reefers. Luckily my dogs have no interest in well their mastiffs so they have no interest in anything. But I can see how that would be a problem if you have cats or dogs that like sushi.
    My mistake that hopefully someone else learns from. That's why I shared this experience.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I had an exquisite fairy years ago that would jump and my cat would come get me and show me where he landed lol.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Should have entered that due in America's Got Talent ;D

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

that's hilarious!