Zebra Hermit Crab behaving oddly

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by smackrock, Oct 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi

I bought a Zebra Hermit crab a little over 3 weeks ago and its been very active moving all over the tank and switching shells sometimes twice a day, but suddenly then 2 days ago the crab sat in a little cave like area under a rock and stopped moving for almost the whole time. I picked up the shell and moved it yesterday thinking he was stuck, but after i moved him, he got up and moved right back into the same spot and then stopped moving again. I don't really get it but maybe someone else has observed this behavior in hermit crabs?

None of my other fish(1 yt damsel, 2 clowns, 1 lawnmower blenny) are showing any issues.

Thanks in advanced!

Water levels:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 3-5 ppm (I did a 10% water change afterwards but that is still far below any dangerous amount.)
    Ph: 8.2-8.3
    Salinity: 1.023

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

He's probably just molting, give him some time.

1 person likes this.
  4. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I would say molt as well.. especially if he has been switching shells around.

1 person likes this.
  5. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

phew! That explains why he's in a large shell compared to his size. Thank you for that news! k+

6. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

More then likely about to shed its exoskeleton, give it a few days and it should be just fine.