Zebra Eel Cave

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by iLLwiLL, May 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Soon after my 125 is cycled i really want to get a big zebra moray eel. I'm about a day away from aquascaping with loads of live rock and was wondering if i should make a cave for the eel. I have some 4" PVC and some 30* bends laying around my shop, and was thinking about picking up a T-section as well . . . would this be beneficial to add to my tank now and stack the rock on top of / around it? Or should i scrap the idea and just use the LR.

~Will.

2. Click Here!

3. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

Or find a conk shell.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

has your lr been in the tank while the waters been cycling? if it hasnt your not finished cycling yet. there could be die offs in the rock which can cause ammonia spikes.

5. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

Quick question: if you add new l/r to established l/r do you just treat it as a new fish, one a week?

6. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

When you say big.....you mean will get big or already big?

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

have not even started to cycle yet. i got the stand up on horses about to add the doors to it and get it home for a test fit. the eel i'm looking at is prob going to be over 3' when i get him. of the MANY calls i made to people about live rock someone mentioned they had one that was looking for a new home.

but i can be patient and wait till the tank is cycled to get any fish, i just wanted to know if and how i should prep now for the eel i really want to have eventually.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

thats what i have been told by more than a few people.

~Will.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would wait two months down the road before adding the eel specifically, because there have been a few massive swings(lasting for a few hours then dissappear) that can occur up to 10 weeks down the road. these dont always happen in fact i would say there more likely to not happen, but i would hate for you to by that eel and lose it. i would get what ever fish you want before the eel.

I think the big pieces of pvc are a good idea but i would drill holes in them every couple of inches so you still get water flow in it.

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

heres a quick mock up of what i had banging around my head today. after seeing how much space it takes up i'm having second thoughts. that and the fact that i picked up a TON of live rock today so i may be able to make plenty of caves in a more natural way.

[​IMG]

please mind the canopy, i may tear it apart and start over . . . haven't decided yet.

~Will.