Zacks 40 Gallon Predatory

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by dumbderk, May 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Well I have some extra stuff laying around, 30 gallon aquarium, skimmer etc so I decided I am going to make a predatory tank. I am currently saving up money for a vacation but every extra bit I get on side jobs is going to this project. I will be custom designing this tank with a cherry finish, and a sliding bendy door, kind of like the ones you see on pianos. The tank I am going to buy is going to be a 40 gallon high, and will include a Yellow dwarf fuzzy lionfish, and an sargassum angler fish. I was also contemplating getting two yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish and breeding them instead of the angler but who knows. The tank will have black sand and mostly fiji live rock with mostly softies under 200 watts or less of lighting. Out of the 30 gallon I have laying around, I will be building my own sump. I am sectioning off 5gallons first for the skimmer, and heater, the next compartment will be a 20 gallon fuge with a mantis for an inhabitant, the last 5 gallons will be for the return pump.

Anyones ideas or input on this design would be very well appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. dumbderk

well the breeding is out of the question, but owell, I think having an angler would be pretty cool, thinking of acclimating mollies to salt water to have them breed like crazy for live food for the both of them that way I am not spending to much money on food or getting them copper treated goldfish.

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

breeding isnt out of the question. they will breed sometime if you get a male and female. but the eggs wont make it to maturity sadly. they will hatch yes, but the fry are impossible to raise (but so were clownfish at one time). i want to try and raise the fry which is why im getting a male and female dwarf lion this summer. the yellows cost a lot also, since there only from the red sea (dont quote me on that.) or so i read.

good luck!

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

A Sargassum angler will slurp a fuzzy up for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Don't set your sights on a yellow fuzzy... especially two. They are one of the hardest to come by. I did see one at Christmas for 400 bucks. The thing was gilling SO hard I wanted to take it home and fix. Couldn't take that risk. I told them if they get it back to health I would buy it. They tried for a month and then it died. I was SO disappointed.

I wouldn't worry about giving an earnest attempt to breeding at this point. If you have to save up for the parts to get going, you'll never be able to afford the $$ for trying to raise them. It's still interesting to watch the behaviours.

You cannot feed your saltwater fish a diet of freshwater fish. Mollies and guppies and rosy reds and goldfish and just about every other freshwater fish will shorten the life expectancy of your fish TREMENDOUSLY and they wont be very healthy while they are alive. I have used them for sort intervals while training to frozen, but have since almost exclusively switched to training with ghostshrimp.

6. dumbderk

yea, the problem with the shrimp is that they cost 25 cents a piece down here. I have a certain guy who I am buying the lionfish from, for lets just say almost free.

7. dumbderk

the reason fresh water fish shorten the life expectancy of your fish is because the ones you are prbably buying are being treated with copper, hence why I wanted to raise my own. its like use with meat really, a steak from a factory where they are kept in poor conditions with mostly fat on them bad for us, grazing farm raised meat lots more healthy for us.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

This actually, isn't the reason at all.

Freshwater fish flesh contains thiaminase, an enzyme that "depletes" (to keep it simple) thiamine, an important B vitamin. This will shorten the life of your fish.

Also freshwater fish doesn't contain the levels of certain fat that saltwater fish need ... it also have high levels of the wrong fat which cause such conditions like Fatty Liver Disease, which has been known to kill many predatory fish fed an inappropriate diet.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

incognito is right about that. 100%.

11. dumbderk

I think I will trust that information you know he is only an expert lol :p posted then looked at his knowledge on here, hindsight 20/20 you know lol.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ghost shrimp are a better choice, but still not a good one. you want to get it on frozen foods soon. but it may never take them.