YWG Not Eating & Acting Odd - Update -Resolved

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by SkyFire, Dec 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I have a yellow watchman goby that is acting really odd; swimming at the top of the tank and hanging out in the open and didn't even swim away when I put my hand in next to him (to test his reaction) his coloring is a faded as well.
    This fish usually hangs out by his rock and darts into it whenever you approach the tank. He's also usually a pig.
    The other fish seem fine in fact I think the mandarins are close to spawning again since her belly is fat and his colors have intensified and he's keeping his dorsal fin up more.

My toadstool doesn't seem to be too happy (hasn't been since the skimmer pump disconnected from the intake and shot air infused water at it)..all the polyps are retracted when usually they are fully out..the other coals seem to be fine acans are nice and puffy with the feeders out most of the time, chalices appear to be fine can only distinguish the feeders on one though, but they're coloring back up from shipping (recent purchase) and the kenya trees and colt corals & xenia are fine as are the evil apastia I've been trying to kill of yet they keep spreading grrr.

Tank Specs:
    46g
    Temp 76
    KH 8.5-9 (@ 8 the color was yellow green and @ 9 was full yellow)
    Phosphate .25 (I changed the phosphate removing media)
    Nitrate 0
    Ammonia 0
    PH low at 8.0
    (API Test Kits)

I don't use RO/DI just RO water for now till I can get my own unit I'm hoping to get one for my birthday.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I would spoil that YWG just to make sure it's eating well. Maybe try a different food.

Toadstools (Sarcophyton) go through a growth process whereby all of their polyps pull in and a weird layer of tissue on top has to slough off. Directing a powerhead at the top of the cap can speed up this sloughing off process.

1 person likes this.
  4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I spoiled the whole tank...they got my homemade fish food (has Selcon added) plus got bloodworms and brine enriched w/spirulina and formula 1 & 2 flake.

Thanks for the info on the toadstool...it's been growing like a weed.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

try joes juice for the apastia. the ones you hit with it dont return.

1 person likes this.
  6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

update the YWG seems to have color back and did eventually go back to his hole only today he's back at the top of the tank and not eating.

Meanwhile the rock where he lives seems to have the entrance holes blocked by piled sand. I did get a pistol shrimp when I got the YWG but have only seen a molt of the shrimp and not the shrimp itself. Could it be molting and have kicked the YWG out?

7. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Accidental double post...sorry

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Turns out I was probably right about the shrimp molting....he and the YWG switched residences to the other end of the tank and I was able to see him for the first time since I got him some time this summer.
    I thought the clicks I'd been hearing the tank were from him...now I know for sure....yeah Ruger...he's alive.