You've gotta be kidding me..

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CBSurfrider, Oct 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

SO... My tank has been up and running since around Sept 4, 2013. My landlord calls me yesterday and tells me she is moving back into the house on Dec 1st. That means I have little over a month to find and move into a new place. My main concern is the tank. Can I keep my water and sand I have now, being that it's so new? Or do I start completely over again? My plan of action was to siphon as much water as I can into 5gal buckets, put all my LR into a couple coolers and start the move. My tank is 75gal. What do you all think is the best plan of action? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

That really sucks :-/ Sorry to hear that.

5. Swisswiss

the main thoughts on moving a tank is the sand bed can be a problem if disturbed, however seeing this a young tank you might not have all that much crunk build up in there yet so it might not be an issue after all.

the 5 gallon buckets is a solid plan same with the rocks in a cooler though i would cover them with wet newspaper or towels.

if you have no real livestock start over, youll break your back a lot less

6. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

Yea, I agree.. Start over if no livestock. You'll probably cycle anyway with disturbing the sand...

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I have livestock. I figured if I can get the water level as close to the sand bed as possible there wont be much movement during the move.

edit: The move is about 15miles up the road give or take a few

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I moved my original tank about 5 miles when we built our new house a few years back. It was not too bad....I did as you are suggesting - I took the rock out and the water down to about an inch above the sand level and then we just moved it. I did have 50% new water on hand so that I was getting really clean water in there to kind of make up for any disturbance in the sand bed. I had no losses. Biggest issue was that the Coraline algae on the glass all turned white and had to regrow...but that was it. Not a lot of fun, but definately doable. Good luck!

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Thanks! Luckily my tank is so new there is NO algae growth at all on the glass. I'm looking into the cost of a LFS water run v's me lugging around 15 buckets of water. Maybe I'll keep half. I have a couple 10gal aquariums I can keep my livestock in until the water settles.

11. Swisswiss

worth noting is that although a large water change will dilute the toxicity of the water it will also cut back your beneficial bacteria (though most will be found on the surface area of your live rock) as well. pair this with suddenly adding a large livestock and you could run into problems...

perhaps add your live stock back progressively...

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Not most, all. You don't lose any measurable amount of beneficial bacteria via a water change. It's not a concern in any way.

My concern would be in how well you can keep the bacteria that is alive on the rocks and sand, healthy. The shorter the time period from it being taken down to being put back up, the better.