YOUR perfect 40 gallon breeder

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Vizzle1717, May 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

I am AMAZED how many people have said HOB reef octopus skimmers!! It's like people have never heard of AquaC ;).

I really like the livestock list you went with as well, but it's really just an equipment competition !!

2. Click Here!

3. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Actually didn't know that AquaC made a HOB! I only knew about their sump units :) And I actually thought about going with the innovative marine midsize too, but I haven't heard/read too much about it yet!

4. Vizzle1717

Interesting you say that drew, because another member on my site had mentioned the IM skimmers / reactors . I know MD.com has done a video on it, but I would like to see one in action on a heavily stocked tank.

The AquaC Remora is the best skimmer for the job from all the things I have seen / read

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

It looks like a slick unit! I know their bigger sump units work great, I've seen them pull a ton of sludge out of systems. I wish I could make it work on my current system.

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Sir! They aren't from the coral sea/Australia.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

this a billion wiwwion times!!!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

im with alot of people here. There is not really good reason for NOT having a sump on a new build. Drill the tank and install a coast to coast bean overflow to a sump. Why have all that equipment in a display tank.

1.0- I like the idea of a biotope, but I love alot of different fish. Why limit yourself.

10. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I want to chime in on this no sump sucks comment. As I agree with fb. I had an 80g with all hob equipment.
    2- emperor 400s a CPR bak pak dual pak (which I hated) an in tank uv sterilizer, power heads and while all inhabitants were very successful I did not have any hob room for a reactor or a hob fuge. Not to mention while it wasn't the ugliest thing I had so much equipment in the tank that it looked cluttered to me. The best thing I did when I upgraded was add a 40g sump. Now the only thing in the tank are the power heads, returns and overflow box. (If I knew then what I know know I would have drilled.) also not to mention I had limited room behind the tank for limited maintenance.
    Hob will never happen again for me. From my personal experience.

So I am going to go a +1 to Alex's plan.
    Winner winner chicken dinner.

11. Vizzle1717

Well as much as I appreciate all the responses, not having a sump here is key to the competition I'm trying to run !!!

I think that sumps are excellent investments for people who are not "on the move" as in college students or people who sign year long leases and move around

12. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Well, I just pulled my AquaC Remora off my sump last night and installed an in sump skimmer.
    I'll prob list the Remora on ebay next week, you can have first dibs if you're interested. :) It has a 1 year old Colbolt MJ1200 pump.

To beat a dead horse here, if one had to move a reef tank with all hang on equipment vs a tank with a sump, the sump wins again.
    Get the DT drilled and be done with it or buy my Remora.
    :hammer: