Your own aquarium store?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Ever consider owning your own aquarium store?

1. Yes.

49 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. No.

25 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think it would be nice, but you also become a slave to the store, unless you can find trustworthy employees which is hard. Also were i am at theres way too much competition. I have about 7 stores in in 10 min drive.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

no way, even if i was a guru!!

1 person likes this.
  4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

location, location location! Someday I will have an actual brick and mortor store, Im eyeing this srtip mall thats right next to deathco, Im talking about right as you walk in the door you see it, less then 50yards away. There is 1000-5000 sqft available at $16 a sqft. Like CR said, intial cost is what gets ya. Then like luna said, trustworthy employees are hard to come by. You need roughly $100K to do it right. Thats paying your rent for atleast 6 months so you dont have to worry about it during the cycling phase and building everything and getting it set up and also gives you a few months to see what kind of revenue you're actually going to make on it so you will have a good idea of your "checks and balances" before you have to start paying rent again. Also set a side $15K+ for utilities, cause you never know how much thats going to cost with all the lights/equipment/water etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

If I had 100K I certainly wouldnt open a Fish/coral store with it.:cry:

However, I would like to spend a good chunk of it there.;D

Hey Geek....Let me know what I can do to help if the time comes! But then you already know that!!! hahahaha

I could always picket the competition for ya!!!!

2 people like this.
  6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

WTH are you doing online at 3pm??? You shutdown early?

7. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Came home for a while to make some calls in private. Too much friggin noise there and too cold to stand outside on a cell. Just puttin out fires...just puttin out fires...Oh! and trying to light a few also!

8. Click Here!

9. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

I think it would be cool to own one. My grandpa used have one way before I was thought of. It would have to be huge and packed full to. Then again I'd rather just own an Aquirium where people just pour in to look at the exhibits. I went to Newport Aquirium last spring on a Tuesday no where near any local school spring breaks and the place was so packed.

1 person likes this.
  10. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I would consider doing it but I would not concider doing anythink but a serious specialty store, no fluffy toys no sushi bar. just a AQUARIUM a one goal setup that people who wanted fish could come and get a fantail guppie or a high end reef critter.

But since it aint going to happen, I can still dream cant I Matt?
    or are you looking to finance a entrepreneur?:LolLolLol

1 person likes this.
  11. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

there were a Lfs that open here for half a yr aiming at exotic but end up close down since they can't keep that many variety of stuff around so not that many customer go there now here open up a pet land and threaten to make
    my only Lfs to close down hopefully thy can survive

1 person likes this.
  12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thanks for mentioning the guppie... I forgot to add you HAVE to sell freshwater too. The summer months are the worst time for saltwater cause people are out and about instead of couped up in the house in the winter messing with their tanks. Freshwater sells year around. Saltwater sells the most jan-may in a physical LFS. Online, it sells year around, but the same holds true, you make more money jan-may then you will the rest of the year. Its simply because of the cold and income tax season.