Your Opinions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by LCP136, Jan 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

So I have a decision. As I'm sure is an issue with more people than just me, I want to do more with my tanks than my budget will allow for. I can't decide if I want to go ahead with my Seahorse tank plans, or use the money to upgrade my lighting, which is 4x65 watt PCs on my 90 gallon (Comes out to 2.8 WPG) and add a Refugium. I'm essentially torn between Seahorses and SPS. I might be able to get a used t-5 fixture for the money and make a fuge. What are your opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

why not both, I tried to make a refugium/sea horse tank. It has become a refugium only because I have an algae problem I am fighting. I am sure it could be done. I have a picture of how I set it up. I will find thread and let you look.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i really feel your pain! i just am building up a 75 and i dont know what to do with my 29. I luv SPS and my lady friend likes seahorse. IMO i would do SPS, and then make a small seahorse tank.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I personally would do SPS, seahorses are cute but alot of work.... I know 2 breeders and they aren't as in love with them as they once were. Plus they are tough to keep even without breeding!
    As far as putting one in the fuge, you then need a fuge for the fuge once they decimate the 'pod population!

Whatever you choose good luck!!

1 person likes this.
  6. mile high reefer

if you are instrested you can look at page 2 of a thread I started (clear layer on top of refugium) There is a picture of a sea horse tank/refugium Combo.It can be done I would do it different and put just mangroves in it so hoarses can hang on them.

7. mile high reefer

Good point I never thought of that.I knew there was a reason I never seen what I am trying.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I'd go for the lights and sump/fuge!

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

The problem with doing both is that my reef is in a corner and I can't plum in a tank adjacent to it. The fuge has to go in the cabinet, so Seahorses would be stressed in there due to the constant noise and sloshing of the sump. I did think about this though. Also, I would never see them because it would be in the cabinet and the light cycle would be opposite my reef's. I'm leaning towards the reef embellishments because I feel that I owe it to myself and my tank to have as nice a tank as I can, and I feel as though I should complete my reef project (not that you can complete a reef, but you know what I mean) before venturing into other things. Still undecided though...

11. maxalmon

maxalmon Flamingo Tongue

I would go with the SPS, once you master keeping SPS, then you can move on to some of the more challenging species specific tanks. Seahorses are cool creatures, but they don't do very much and can be a little tempramental. The 24g nanos make great seahorse tanks, you can find them used on craigslist sometimes for $50-$75

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I am fully prepared to keep Seahorses. I'm leaning towards new lighting, but the other problem is that the lighting and fuge would come out to be more expensive unless I find a great deal on used lighting.