You wont believe what i just witnessed.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by lunatik_69, Feb 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I placed this story under this topic/forum only b/c I wanted it to be seen in the main menu and not in the "Off topic" forum, so forgive me Mods.

I recieved a bag(reg. ice bag) today from a friend at work filled with shrimps that he caught last night off the bridge. He gave me the bag around 3pm today filled with ice. I placed that bag in a 5g bucket and filled that with more ice until I got home at 430pm. I began to peel the shrimps with one of my daughters when she noticed one of them moving its front legs. I thought it was just "stretching" out from the frozen fetal position it was used to. So I picked it up and she was right, it was moving its front legs(not alot) just enough to make me wonder and scratch my head. So I placed it in my tank and within about one hr and a half, its moving, breathing, walking around sluggish and even getting back its pinkish color back. Am freaking out here, to say the least. This is a Super Shrimp!! How it survived all that time out of water, not breathing, packed with ice and lying in fresh air in my kitchen is beyond me.

When I come back from Public's, I'll take a couple of pics. My jaw is still dragging on the floor.

[SCROLL]Luna[/SCROLL]

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Wow! Is it possible to give karma to shrimp?

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That stuff happens sometimes. When I was younger and lived in Kalifornia, I used to bass fish a lot. One time one of the largemouths I had caught survived an hour and a half in an ice chest, with just ice (no water). I threw it in my parents backyard pond where it lived happily till it got too big. It was then released

5. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Maybe it's like people who suffer a cold water drowning. Many of them have been brought back after they have been under for way too long, possible because of the extremely cold temperatures involved and the way the temps affect the body.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hee are the pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Thats a cool little shrimp. Is it from waters with temperatures in which it can live long term in your tank? Is that the kind we eat on a regular basis?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well at least you got a some free livestock. :)

10. lisafromnochas

lisafromnochas Fire Worm

wow! I wonder if it will survive?

11. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

thats pretty cool, i always steal a couple of live clams, and oysters for the fish tanks when we buy then from the grocerie store

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Well if he dies, at least you know it's edible :) That'd be awesome if he lived...wow. Good luck with that! Creepy story though. The effects of cold temperatures on humans and animals is fascinating. Cold can kill you, or save your life.