You all lie lol

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Newreef15, Jan 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

So i was always told the emeralds crads are reef safe and I realy like crads so after seting up my tank. I added two of them and about one two weeks ago i abb some shrooms (green, blue, red) and they were very happy for about a week then they always look unhappy. I was puzzeled anyway I was look at my tank last night and the emerald crawls up to the red shrooms and starts tearing at it like it was a all you can eat buffet. So far I have only caught one of the crads the other one is still in hiding. I figured I would post this so that you think twice before you buy a emerald.

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

woah i definitely have never said emerals crabs are reef safe, because they are obviously not i would have told you

4. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Hmmmm. I've had many emerald crabs and never had a problem with them. I have all kinds of corals, mushrooms, zoanthids. The only thing I've tried to do is always buy the smaller emerald crabs - I probably have 4 in my tank right now.

5. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

I've seen emeralds eat xenia and zoas also. Personally I dont put any crabs in my tank besides blueleg hermits. I think the emeralds are alright until they run out of algea to eat then they get the taste of coral and don't care for the algea anymore. just my opinion.

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats because theyre afraid of the "spoon" :D

but ive also heard they have been known to do their style of nipping. sorry to hear it newreef

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Sorry to hear, but my emerald crabs don't touch any of my corals. I only keep the small one though.

8. Click Here!

9. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

i had 2 in my tank. They never touched a coral. One of them died from lack of algae and the other got HUGE and I caught him taking a nip at a fish, so caught him and tossed him in the sump. he just hangs out down there.

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

And they should fear the spoon! ;)

11. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I never said they were reef safe, I wouldnt have an emerald crab, I heard they were iffy as far as being reef safe.

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We've had quite a few emeralds with no problem. But we've always had algae for them to eat :lol: One of the crabs lives near our GSP, and never bothers it. One lives under our birdsnest, no trouble. Basically we've always bought the smaller emeral crabs, and if they get big they become a mantis shrimp feast.