Yet another T5 or MH thread

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so after the holidays i will be changing my puffer's 20Tall brackish to semi-reef.

This is going to be a budget tank so i think i will get the odyssea brand. I am torn between the T5 and MH.

I want the MH because i want to have the shimmer, have the T5 HO over my 46 so i want to experience some MH lighting. But my only worry is the heat that this thing will put out.

I really don't want T5's for this tank but if the MH will put out to much heat i will settle with T5s

As for coral i just want this tank to be a jungle of Xenia and no other corals.

Think i will be ok with the MH on the tank

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

LOL if you truly just want a "jungle" of xenia's i wouldn't go with MH, unless money is not a huge factor. Are you looking for a more visually appealing tank or just something to grow them out in?

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree, I would go T5 just for the difference in electric bill.

Otherwise heat isn't as big a problem with MH as some think. A clip on fan will solve most problems.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i would say probably say something to grow them out in, i don't care where the grow, i want them to spread like crazy. it's just going to be my puffer, and rock so i want something in there with him. My lfs has a xenia jungle tank and i love it and want to do it.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

would a 2 bulb T5 cause the xenia to take over?

7. mikejrice

What are the dimensions?

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

24 wide 13 deep and 17 tall.

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I have seen xenia's take over tanks that where lit with regular CF bulbs, I personally think the health of xenia's has more to do with the amount of nutrients in the water than the amount of light they receive.

11. mikejrice

You should be fine with the 2 bulb. Are you going to have pulsing xenia in there? One of my favorite corals!

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

my plan for the tank is to use mainly base rock and a very small amount of live and use water from my 46 along with about a cup full of sand.

I'm hoping my puffer will be able to survive this big transfer when it does happen, him and the tank has been moved around 4 times and he's survived every one of them, and has never been sick, very hardy and easy fish. Only trouble i've had with him is his aggression and that he's a picky eater