Yet another skimmer question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by accentstencil, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

I just bought a Reef Octopus skimmer (NW-110-6520) and have been running it for 3 days now and haven't seen any action yet. My old cheap skimmer which I modified with a wooden diffuser worked better.
    The Octopus skimmer didn't come with instructions so I am not sure where the ideal water level would be. I have tried it with the water level low, medium and high and didn't see any difference. I would have thought 3 days would be ample for me to start seeing some skimate. Does anyone have any experience with this particular skimmer and if so, how did you find it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

No experience here but one suggestion would be to raise the water level to the highest and see if you get any skimate and how it looks... If it looks too light and watery, then lower the water level until you get the skimate looking sticky and green/brown.
    The three days that you've had this skimmer, Is the tank newly established or has it been running for some time? Chances are that it hasn't started it's nitrogen cycle so that could be a reason why ur not getting any skimate.

1 person likes this.
  4. accentstencil

Thanks for the reply. I was going to fine tune it when I got it going.:) It is a new tank but I have just transferred everything from my old tank which was running for seven years. My old skimmer was producing skimate when I swapped it over.

1 person likes this.
  5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Hey, I don't want to derail your thread(really sorry if I do) but is that a real monkey in your avatar? that thing looks wicked creepy!

6. accentstencil

Yes I believe it is, I think it is called Larry King or at least that is what the photo is called.

1 person likes this.
  7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

:laughcry::lol: that's too funny man!! BTW Welcome to 3reef! Got any tank shots?

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Some skimmers work differently. I think that the Ideal water level would be right at the top of the black piece, below the reaction chamber or even mid way in the chamber tube... I don't know how to put this corectly and I hope someone can help me out here but I believe that some skimmers actually take longer to start producing skimate because It aims to concentrate the foam production therefore taking a longer time period to produce skimate....:-/

I hope I didn't confuse you.... I surely confused myself... I think it's bed time lol;D But seriously, I think there should be someone out there that kinda understands what I'm trying to say and could decode my message properly;)

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

How long have you been letting it work after adjusting? I know when I mess with my skimmer, it can take up to a day to re-balance itself. Also, three days is not all that long, it could just be breaking in still.
    I second the thought of raising the water level and going from there. Give it at least 24 hours in between each adjustment.

1 person likes this.
  11. accentstencil

Thank you all for the replies, I will just have to be patient wait.

12. accentstencil

I've only got one decent pic at the moment. Even that is not so good with the sun shining on the left side of the tank.

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      410.1 KB
      Views: