Yet another Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NASAGeek, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It's basically just a fine mesh bag that goes on the end of the plumbing where it enters the sump.

Awesome, I love the Boulder area. I live in Arvada; about 20 minutes South of Boulder.

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Thanks everyone. I'll work on this tomorrow and update further.

M

4. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Updated plans... I'd be interested in any feedback.

55gal display tank

I started out using a 40gal as my refuge/sump, but I put the partitions in before I had found this site and hadn't read quite enough... 3reef has really been invaluable!!!

I was originally planning on a HOB skimmer, but decided to go with a Vertex IN-100... and thus my originally planned compartment for the skimmer is now too small. Also hadn't read enough about the various refuge configurations.

Thus, here is my adapted plan for the experienced folks to critique. I'll describe it as the water will flow... I can't get my scanner working at the moment, I'll post a schematic later.

Inlet from DT, two 1" lines rated at 1200 GPH. 20% margin on pump at 1000GPH.

Inlet lines go to the bottom of the first chamber in the 40 gal tank... 5" wide, 15" deep, 14" tall filled with live rock. My thought was that the water would flow in the bottom and up 'through' the live rock.

Bubble trap between 1st chamber and 2nd.

Second chamber is Refugium. 23" wide, 15" deep, 14" tall (20 gal). Planning on 4" deep bed. I was thinking 2" mud and 2" sand. Question: Mix the sand and mud or leave it layered? I have read different opinion on sand versus mud. I was thinking a mix might not be a bad idea.

Planning on Chaeto in there as well. What else should be in there??

After that, Chamber #3 is another 5" wide, 15" deep, 14" tall filled with live rock. Didn't know what else to do with it... Figured fill it with LR couldn't hurt. Ideas welcome...

This chamber will drain (gravity fed) out of the 40 gal into a 10 gal tank. 10 gal tank will be set up to maintain a constant 9" water depth. I read skimmers need a constant depth between 8-10". I'll place the Vertex IN-100 in here.

This tank will drain (gravity fed) into another 10 gal. In this tank, the first thing is a bubble trap. The rest of the tank is just an accumulator for the pump (1000 GPH).

The pump feeds a manifold with five 1/2" lines coming out of it with ball valves. From the manifold I can plumb where ever I need to. I was thinking the following.

1) Recirculate back to the inlet from the DT in the 40 gal and thus be able to isolate the DT and the sump/refuge if required and dail how much flow goes into the DT.
    2) I was thinking of reserving one for maintance, water changes, etc. Running a tube from the tank to my kitchen sink to pump out water for water changes, etc. This valve will nominally be closed.
    3,4,5) Return to the Display Tank.

So... long post... sorry. Really appreciate any feedback. I am trying to learn and incorporate the advice from everyone. So much to learn.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
    Mark

1 person likes this.