yet another MH question

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by m_lacom99, Nov 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Hey all... thinking of getting MH (maybe if I'm nice Santa will give me a hand)

I've read that you need about 3 to 5 watts per gallon of lighting. But what if you exceed 5 watts/gallon. I have a 55gl long so that means 275W at 5W per gallon but if i get 2 x 175W that 75W extra. Is that good or bad? i could get just one 250W but my tank is 48" long so I'm thinking i wont get as much light on the ends of the tank right?? So what would be the ideal setup? And i was thinking something retrofit kits cause i already have a canopy and there is no way my wife will let me take it off :-/.

Thanks

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

Some say there is no such thing as to much light. I myself would think 10 watt per, gal. would be to much.

I have 7w pgal. So I think 7 - 8 is great. 8)

4. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im @10.8w per gallon. Youll be ok w/2 175w just make sure theyre high enough above the water so they dont raise the temp to much.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Do you think that 13.6w per gallon would be to much?

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

[smiley=biglaugh.gif] Yeah, Fletch, you're using your tank as the main room light, eh! Get it fired up yet?

Marc,

I have a 175 W with 2 Actinic VHO's. My tank is 36 inches long and I get lower light at the ends...I would go ahead with a 2 light setup....it would look more even
    :)

7. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i have about 10 watt/gal. I think that 2x175 would also work but if you really want a lot of light and a nice bright tank i would get the 2x250 like i have. You can never have too much light!

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Ok so even if i go with 2 x 250W MH bulbs its not too much... cool! Planes will be landing in my living room but at least ill be able to keep anything. Plus i would keep my 2 35W 36" actinic...

Thanks...

10. hottielover14

lol, it would be an airport but without the traffic. You could have 1000W on your tank and not be too much. it would be hot and u could see your tank in the next state, like clark griswolds house, in Christmas Vacation. I would go with the 2x250 MH if you have the money to spend at the moment.

11. hottielover14

i have 20K bulbs by coralvue. there not as windex blue as the xm or radium but it's the perfect blue and it adds color to corals and fish. what color were u thinking.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Ummm....1000W would most likely burn everything! 2 @ 250 would be ideal IMO! Merry Christmas!!!