Yet another LED question

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by maxxtk, Nov 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maxxtk

maxxtk Spaghetti Worm

I originally bought this LED fixture for an RSM 130 tank. The RSM 130 is 24" tall and I thought about hanging the fixture about 8" from the surface.
    Eventually I decided to go on a different route and my new tank will be only 14" tall. Where do you think it will be best to hang the lights? My logic says 18" above water but I'm not sure.
    The fixture has 120 degrees optics that from what I know are less focused but spread more. The tank is 24" X 24". I plan to keep mostly LPS and SPS.

Thank you 8)

2. Click Here!

3. Trumptitan

Trumptitan Astrea Snail

This is a photo of my 28 bow with par levels Iam using the same light. The light fixture was 9" up and both dimmers max on. Height of the light was at about 9".

[​IMG]

If you had your light at about the same hieght you could lower the dimmers and still have good coverage. If you put it up at 18" you will have a lot of spill over light wise. The hammer and frogspawn are about 14" down on that tank but I would say read the par from the left side as a truer measure as the light was slightly off center. GL

4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

<----- Look at my avatar.. thats a 24gal aqua pod with the 120watt Tao tronics Led Fixture not sure of the measurment of the tank off hand. But I have mine about 3-4 inch from the water surface. I have SPS and LPS in there and all are doing Very well with the light that close to the tank.

That being said if your tank has never had this intense light on on the tank. Befor or a MH on it hang the led fixture where you want it.. Then start your light cycles for short time then over a week or two bump it up to a full day cycle. Meaning On Monday let it run for lets say a Hour in the morning and the same at night .. Then Tuesday maybe an hour and half.. and so on.. But see how the corals react. And adjust from there..

If you tank is brand new and just plugged in with NO CORALS.... Runn full 8-10 hour cycle's. When you ready to add corals. Place them in the lowest part of tank and maybe in the shadows and slowly bring them to where you want them. Or revert back to the One to two week gradual light cycle.

I am sure there's other opinion's out there. I have used these methods with no issues.. Just remember just my $.02

Happy reefing..!!

5. maxxtk

maxxtk Spaghetti Worm

Any chance I can get the exact depth of your tank? It will help a lot :)

Thank you! It's a brand new tank so no corals yet, the tank is pretty shallow, only 14" so I don't want to hang it too close to the water and then again, not too far.