yet another filter question..

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mattb, Feb 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb

mattb Astrea Snail

Hello folks,
    Well, I'm in the process of getting my 46 gal bow front up and running and have a quick question. I have decided to use all dry rock from BRS and aragamax sand in the tank..I know it will take longer but will be worth it. When I bought this tank from a buddy it came with an Emperor 400 filter but from what I'm reading this is not the best choice. I would love to hear some suggestions for my tanks since its my first saltwater. :)
    Thanks for the help..
    Matt

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would get some Live rock even if it is a small piece. Also ask your LFS for a small scoop of sand (or from a friend) this will help seed your tank. Turning dry rock into Live rock will take a lot longer but you don't risk the unwanted hitchhikers.

I would ditch the filter all together and have the Rock be the filtration source + a Skimmer of course

J

4. mattb

mattb Astrea Snail

So, go with a sump under the tank instead?

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

+1 for skimmer. SW really needs to have a skimmer. a few years back when i first started I think i had the biggest emperor HOB filter the store sold, the filter said it was capable of filtering a much bigger size tank than i had but within 5 months i lost nearly all my fish only 2 chroms lived. tank was well cycled, had some LR, ect.. but HOB for the most part wont cut it. for one thing everything rises to the top of the DT but the HOB filter form the bottom. if you opt for HOB plan for small % WC every 5-7ish days and the use of a fuge would help greatly. but if you get a fuge just get a sump:p. at minimum id say look at a HOB skimmer to assist you filter and be sure to have a tunze or something near the surface to get some surface movement. but i have seen HOB tanks do fine with proper care.

6. mattb

mattb Astrea Snail

Ok, thanks for all the good input! I thik I'm gonna go with a sump/ skimmer. So, then which overflow is the least noisy? I don't mind a little noise but don't want Niagra Falls in the livingroom..lol

7. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I don’t have one, but I’ve read a lot of good things about it. And I’m going to get one when I set up my 55 gal. Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow
    ps. make sure you get the aqualifter