Yes !!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by oceansurf, Feb 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks to the advice of my local reef store, I got new bulbs for my light. I figured I'd had the same bulbs for 2 years. They were still working so why change ? I was told they should be changed every year.

What a difference ! My corals are beautiful, not dull & dingy like they once were. The greens, the blues all show up !

I expected my tank to progress much more quickly than it has. I was getting disappointed.

Now maybe my coral will spread much faster.:)

THERE IS HOPE !:)

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats excellent ocean. what bulbs are you running? PC's have a lifespan of 6-9 months. where t5's can go 12-15 months. im sure those bulbs of yours needed replacing. watch your corals go now. enjoy !! :)

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Soooo, where are the new pics!!

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

2 YRS WITH THE SAME BULBS?????? WOW!!! Thats just crazy.
    Yeah..........where are the pics?

luna

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Pic or it didn't happen!

7. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Pics or I'll send out Guido & Rocco?

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Agreed!

No! Don't do it........they're brutes!

10. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I only have a 10 gallon reef, but it is big enough for me. I am kind of limited as to how much I can put in it, although online I have seen some beautiful 10 gallons. I thought there was no hope for me, but now I feel better about it.

For coral I have blue mushrooms, button coral & frog spawn. I thought my frog spawn was gone, but in 1 day, I notice a difference. The button coral was always brown, but now it has green centres. Once they get going, you can break up the frog spawn & spread them around the tank, can't you ? My very large sea anenome takes up alot of space. It use to look perfectly white. Now the ends of the tentacles have a greenish tinge. My blue mushrooms are actually blue. It is a whole different world !

My bulbs are Coralife 18W. How long will it be before they need replacing ?

You are right. Using the same bulbs for 2 years is crazy, but I was new with salt water & didn't know any better. I thought it was like fresh water. You replace them when they burn out.

Please give a break & give me a couple of months before I send pics. In 2 years, it hasn't done much. I'd like to post a pic after I've had sometime to see what happens. Send me a pvt to remind me.

Thanks everyone. This has renewed my faith in salt.