Yes or No??

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Morpheus77, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Morpheus77

Morpheus77 Astrea Snail

I've been thinking about a HOB refugium for my 55. I currently just have a skimmer, but I've heard a refugium would be beneficial. What are yall's opinions? Thanks in advance.

T.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I feel that a fuge is a great add for any tank. Its a place where you can grow macro algae without your fish eating it. Do you have a sump?

4. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

if you have the money, why not. Its a good place for pods, and macro algae to grow. The macro algae will take out harmful chemicals in the water.

5. Morpheus77

Morpheus77 Astrea Snail

No, I don't not have a sump, and no plans to really. I just like simple. Of course if I ever go bigger, then I definitely will, but all that looks really confusing to me, and I'm a DIY'er. Does the micro algae benefit the tank? I've been sumpless on both tanks I've had, so its all new to me. What are other benefits of a refuge?

T.

6. Morpheus77

Morpheus77 Astrea Snail

I found an old post from this forum from 06 that answered all my questions about a refugium. Now what size do you recommend or will it matter? I've seen 1 gallon all the way up to 5.

T.

7. jeff@zina.com

[email protected] Flamingo Tongue

8. Click Here!

9. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

You really can't go wrong with adding any amount of water volume, but the general consensus is the more the better. I personally think the minimum you want to go is at least 10% of your water volume. Which will put you at a 5.5 gallon refugium.

I have a 26 gallon tank and didn't have a stand that would allow for a sump, so I went HOB refugium as well. I ended up getting a 2.6 gallon one because I couldn't get the next size up to fit with my skimmer.

It's been a great addition though. My chaeto is growing like crazy and now my nitrates are constantly at zero. My pod population is also increasing and I even see them in the DT now. Speaking of pods, a HOB refugium also allows the pods to arrive in the DT through gravity which is quite nice.

10. Morpheus77

Morpheus77 Astrea Snail

I like the idea of bigger, but if the average gallon of water is 8lbs, we're talking an additional 40 lbs hanging on back of tank. Will this be alright you think?

T.

11. liga

liga Astrea Snail

IMO i would get a 20 gallon refugium. But if you dont have space i would totally go after a HOB becuase it will help wiht pod population and let your macro algae grow, which will help if you have any nitrate problems.

12. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

That's the one thing I was extremely worried about. I searched and searched and could not find anyone who had the same refugium I was buying (CPR Aquafuge) and had their tank get damaged because of it. It has these balancing pins that allow you to make the fuge completely level. So all the weight from the fuge is being pushed straight down by gravity versus putting more weight on the back glass.

Unfortunately only time will tell how if my tank can truly hold the weight. In all honesty though, my tank is not rimless and I am not too worried. If you're really worried though, you can always use something to lift up the fuge a bit so its not directly resting on your tank. I remember reading about one guy who used a small car jack to support his.