yes another thread for ick :(

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by zzzzzzzzpr, May 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i have a kole tang and a coral beauty angle that have white spots on them. at 1 point in time my clownfish had the white spots then they went away. now do freshwater and saltwater ick look the same? the two fish noted above arent scratching or breathing heavy. ive read in some post all over the internet that the fish may get rid of it by themselfs. ive just noticed it today. how long should i wait b4 making a hospital tank? and the threads ive read id need another size tank for all the fish to fit in. is this true. i have about 18 in of fish thats another 55g for a hospital tank.
    ive been playing with fish for 20 years and this is my first saltwater tank and dont plan on giving up yet cause there is still lots to learn unlike freshwater. im looking for ideas or meds that can treat the DT or a way for not buying another 55g tank cause thats not in the buget atm. i do have a 10g QT rdy to but dont think i could put allthose fish in 1 tank. now with freash water i always went 1inch per gallon, 1 inch with a filter, and another inch with airbubbles and never had problems keeping lots of fish in a tank now since this is saltwater its different. please shout out and post links that may help even tho id probbly read them all rdy. thank you very much.

2. Click Here!

3. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Is it a reef tank? Or fish only? If you don't have any corals, I'd get some cupramine and treat them with that.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

also make sure you have no inverts.

IMO if they are eating you have a chance, if they aren't its very difficult for them to survive.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

6. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

What sizes are the fish with ick? How many other fish do you have in the tank?

If you have a lot of other fish in the tank, I suggest you move the infected ones to a hospital tank before it gets worse and infect every other fish as well.

7. zzzzzzzzpr

its a reef tank and my kole is mayb 3in at most along with the angle. they r eating fine. thank you coralline for links and ive read them all already. now if i can take both fish out i have a tank to house them in but if i have to take out all the fish im sol.

8. Click Here!

9. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

can you take pictures of the fish?

if they're still eating fine, they may still be able to recover by themselves. keep doing daily water changes to make sure your water parameters are good. remove anything that may be stressing the fish, lessen the time that the lights are turned on. add a uv filter. hopefully, you'll see them recover after a while. that's what i suggest you do if you don't want to take them out of the tank.

but the ich will come back as soon as they get stressed again. so try to find out what's causing the stress and fix it. it may be incompatible tankmates, so you might have to remove some tank inhabitants in the end.

10. zzzzzzzzpr

when i went to try to take pics the white spots were gone. now the tang and my bleeny are scratching themselfs. now i have changed my rockscape twice over the last coulple of weeks for some corals i bought so that they would have room to grow. ive seen a uv filter pretty cheap that will work for my size tank i plan on getting in a few days so i hope that will help a lot.