Yellowtail damsel in corner of tank.

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by saltscrub, Jun 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

The title says it all but... I just bought 2 new damsels and one is hiding at the bottom under a rock and the other is hiding in the top corner of the tank.. I am wondering if my current is too strong. And I know that they are scared and all and I need to wait, but mainly I think my current is too strong. It is a 29G tank and I have a little over 300 gph for it. Is that too much for such small fish? They are very small right now. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

nah, 10 times tank volume is minimal. Those are super fast evil fish. You could run 2000 gph and not affect them.lol. Personally, I'd get them out, they will limit what ya can put in the tank unless, thats the only fish ya want in there.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

My YT is a great community fish. That being said they can become big problems for some people. Right now they are acclimating to a new environment. As they get more comfortable they will utilize much more of the aquarium

5. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

I am just starting saltwater and I wanted a cheap fish I could start out with and make sure I can manage a sw tank. I will eventually trade those in for 2 clownfish and a sand siting goby.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I've read enough that yes there are some that are cool, but it seems most turn into PITAs, wish mine was cool, i do like their actions and personalities.

make sure ya keep your tank easy to remove your scape from, catching a YT satan spawn is rough, with rock work in the tank.

good luck)

7. ingtar_shinowa

Ok then i totally agree with cosmo. Get them out now lol. They are near impossible to catch. One of the best rules of saltwater is that you never add anything that won't live its whole life in your tank

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol, and great point! good luck on the YT;)

11. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

What are your views on tomato clowns? I found a 4in one on craigslist for 20$.

12. ingtar_shinowa

Meaner than Damsels.