Yellowtail Coris Wrasse(Coris gaimard)FOTM June'08

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by omard, Jun 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]
    Yellowtail Coris Wrasse
    (Coris gaimardi)

"My favorite wrasse..." (Bob Fenner)

"Well, is right up there with my sixline..."
    (OmarD) (My Sixline Wrasse)

[​IMG]

Common Names:
    Yellowtail Coris Wrasse
    Gaimard's Wrasse
    Clown Wrasse
    Red Coris Wrasse

Scientific Name: Coris gaimardi

Was looking for a suitable replacement for my favorite tank "show piece" fish, a Hawaiian Flame wrasse, which I lost due to an overtemp in tank late last year. (FOTM - Hawaiian Flame Wrasse - Sep '07)

I came up with this beauty after checking out many other possibilities with LFS.

A totally intelligent, high-spirited and active fish. (acts much like a sixline in activity)...Curious and busy, continually snooping and flipping over rock looking for goodies to eat. Hardy and will thrive in wide range of water and light conditions.

"Compatibility" is not an issue as this fish has a strong bearing and demeanor so not bothered by even the most aggressive fish in tank. Could care less about other inhabitants.

Need a very stable rock foundation or the Coris will rearrange tank for you to its liking.

I keep a pile of rubble rock in sand bed in front of tank, which it is content to push around.

Not known to eat larger shrimp or crabs...have never seen do so.

Is carnivorous and will eat about anything. In fact are quite prodigious eaters, so will be quite messy and good filtration is a must.

Will grow up to 6 inches so plan on at least a 75 gallon tank to keep an adult happy.

Fairly deep sand bed recommended, but not required. Mine gets along fine with just inch or two in my tank.

An odd behavior of mine, is that it appears for just couple of hours in AM...is very, very active, then disappears for rest of day.

Am continually overwhelmed by the beauty and coloring of this fish...seems to get more striking as time goes by.

This colorful wrasse is, without a doubt, one of the most gorgeous/vibrant fish you can find at your LFS.

[​IMG]
    Red to dark reddish head, green iris/pupil, and with a pattern of bright vibrant lateral yellowish/green lines.

[​IMG]
    Beautiful, bright, exotic blue florescent spots all over body, which transitions in color from red to darkish green from front to rear. Bright red fins, trimmed with bright florescent blue.

[​IMG]
    Flashy bright yellow tail. Trimmed with red.​

A totally cool fish...that does not cost a fortune ($30 for adult at my LFS)

Look for juvenile at LFS as looks much different then adult. Expect many purchasers have not a clue what fish they are really getting. Don't know of any other fish that makes such a dramatic change as it matures. Just saw young one at LFS today for $9.99.

[​IMG]
    Juvenile Coris Wrasse (Pic from tank at LFS - "Shark Reef," Silverdale, Wa)​

This is definitely a species to get as a juvenile as you will want to enjoy watching changes as it gets older.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

References:

Wrasses of the Genus Coris, By Bob Fenner (Webmedia)

My Favorite Wrasse, Coris gaimard By Bob Fenner (Webmedia)

Davis Family Reef Log: YellowTail Coris Wrasse (Coris gaimardi)

More Pics - PhotoBucket SlideShow)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work "OmarD". May have sealed the deal in my quest for a new fish. Lost my six-line and am looking for a replacement. Always good threads/posts/awesome pictures.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

yea , like to know how he has his camra set up , always captures the colors so well.

5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Thanks all.

Love to do the FOTM's as gives reason to study up on fish characteristics, habits, and natural living conditions.

This really is about the neatest fish you can get for the $$$.

A real show-stopper.

Rgds,

Scott

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Known jumper Scott?

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

All wrasses can be I think...:-/

Never seen any evidence of mine doing...maybe more likely as juvenile when first introduced That is when most "jumpers" jump.

[​IMG]

8)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008