YellowStripe Maroon Clownfish

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SaltyClown, Apr 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking into getting 2 yellowstripe maroon clownfish in a few months. We would like to get 2 small ones so they can grow together...pair up. I know they are the most aggressive clowns around. But I also just read they can be hard to keep together...that's why we want to get 2 small ones at the same time.

Have any of you had a pair of Yellowstripe maroons and never had a problem with them, or did have probs with them? That is if you got them together.

Please feel free to share any of your stories about your yellowstripe maroons with me ;)

Thank you.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Maroon clowns used to be my favorite, so I have kept a few pairs over the years.

I do agree they tend to be more aggressive then other clowns, with the exceptions of Clarki and Tomato clowns.

Getting them young before one has become the dominate female increases your chances of success, but avoid very young ones, under an inch IMO.

The difficulty I have had with this type of clown fish is two fold. First the female once mature may become aggressive to introduction of any fish to an established tank. Second, if the male should die for some reason I have found it difficult to pair the female again with any other clown, regardless of the size of the new introduction.

The larger the tank the better odds you have of making it work.

4. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a pair. I bought two small one's and my now male beat the other one up badly, I had to remove it. I then bought a larger one and have never had any trouble with the two.