Yellowish/Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by lissa, Apr 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

You may also be going through an algae bloom which is normal at this stage and should go away in due time.

But do run the carbon though.

2. Click Here!

3. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

I agree. If the water only looks yellowish from the sides then it could just be algea on the glass ?

Run some carbon and get some snails

4. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

Otherwise dinner will cook itself;D

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

better hope is warm next winter otherwise the fish be praying for global warming...lol

6. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the advice.

I went to LFS this afternoon, and bought a can of Pura Complete, which I will attach at the back of the power head/filter, and I have on order a Protien Skimmer for a nano tank, which I will be able to submerse effectively.

Hopefully with these two in place my water clairty will improve, as for the water changes, I was still planning to do a 20% change tomorrow.

I also bought a couple of Lunar Lights, I can't wait to install them.

Thank you so very much for your wisdom:beer:

7. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Hi sssnake,

You mentioned to get rid of the bio-wheel part, should I still do that ??? Even after I add the sack of Pura Complete and the nano skimmer ?

Now the glass I clean habitually on the left/right and front, but back clean only when I do a water change, becasue it is hard to reach.

Thanks again:cheesy:

8. Click Here!

9. sssnake

Yes, I would get rid of the bio-wheel. Eventually bacteria which will accumulate on the wheel which will turn into nasty stuff.

Your live sand will provide the beneficial bacteria and be your source for biological filtration. Your skimmer will be your source for mechanical filtration. Add to this combo the running of carbon and you're all set to go.

I see your parameters are all good. Why, then, would you be wanting to do a water change? Leave your water alone. Run the carbon and see what happens to the clarity of the water.

Your tank is just starting to mature and so far so good. Don't mess with it :).

If it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

Keep us posted.

10. sssnake

@ Lissa:

You mentioned you do a water change every month. My question is what prompted you to do your first water change?

The way I see it is that up until 3 months ago your tank was just finishing its cycling.

11. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Hi SSSNAKE,

I guess bad advice from LFS when it came to water changes.:uzi:

But on the other hand, your advice after only 48 hours of me introducing the protien skimmer and the Pura Complete, man what a difference !:cheesy:

So far sooooooo good !!

So when and how often should water changes be done, becasue a previous memeber suggested at least once a week.

Take care.....and THANKS a lot:trampolin

12. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

Hi Lissa...I only do water changes 1X a month on my 75G (only 15G change). I am not opossed to PS, but I currently do not run one. LB per gallon LR does the trick quit nicely. You can add LR, but if you do all at once, you will start a cycle. Adding a few LB's occassionally would be fine if that is an option for you.