Yellowish/Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by lissa, Apr 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

When I decided to start this hobby, it was suggested by LFS to start small to see if I would be able to commit to all the necessary routine maintainence that a Saltwater aquarium requires. (so far I love it and hope in the near future to upgrade)

I currently have a 55 gal. which is 5 months old with live sand and fish only. A Bio-Wheel Power Wet/Dry Biological Filterfiltartion system and heater.
    Fish Only:
    1-Yellow Tang Small
    2-Percula Clowns
    1-4 Stripe Damsel
    3-Green Chromis
    1-Skunk Shrimp
    5-Hermit Crabs
    1-Cleaner Wrasse

My parameters are as follows: (as of tonight)
    Temp. fluctuating from 78-80 ( due to the warmer weather)
    Salinity I keep at 1.021 ( which I was told by LFS to reduce disease/parasites)
    Nitrate at 0
    Nitrite at 0
    Amonia at 0
    Ph at 8.2

I have noticed the last couple of days, the water looks cloudy and yellowish, especially when the lights are off in the daylight. When I turn on the canopy the water looks great from the front, but from the sides it's cloudy and yellowish.

What can I do and or buy to have pristine water.

This aquarium sits on top of my wood burning fireplace (which gets rarely used) and takes up the whole depth of the mantel. Therefore not leaving space for additional attachments ie; protien skimmer, which I think could be the solution.:confused:

Lissa

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

lissa,

Hope that fireplace NEVER gets used...:confused:

Got to get some activated carbon in that filter system you are using....Can you hang a filter sock on outflow with some carbon in it?

You are asking allot to maintain that system without LR or a skimmer.

Best suggestion I can give is increase amount and frequency of water changes...

You may have to do a couple large ones back to back...then at least weekly thereafter...:-/

Good Luck.

4. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Great suggestion.;)

Currently doing water changes twice a month, but will do it once a week.

The carbon sock you mentioned, how does that work, and where exactly are you suggesting I put that ?.

What size of a protien skimmer do you suggest I buy, and what type of LR do you recommend ?:cheesy:

5. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Hi Lissa! do you have a wet/dry and a hang on back or just the bio wheel?
    you need to try getting some new filter media for your bio wheel more likely
    once the carbon is used up that is the outcome, then again you might like to get
    chemi pure, nitra sorb salt water, or another carbon and exchange resin to place in the water path. or ad some concentrated bacteria like Cycle or Bio Zyme
    maybe the bio load you have is much greater than the capacity of your filter

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I had an AquaC remora HOB on my 55 and it did super. (if you decide to get one, make sure to get the drain plug on collection cup option)

All kinds of LR options...would check for good price on either Ebay or Craigs list...I like any of the So. Pacific varieties over the home grown Florida stuff.

Maybe some good deals from 3Reef sponsors.

Keep us posted.

Scott

7. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Hey R34dawn,

Thanks for the advice, I have a Marineland Bio-Wheel Power Wet/Dry Pro 30
    which hangs at the back.

I will be preparing my water tonight, a 20% change and do my wc on Sunday, and I will go on Saturday to LFS to buy what you have suggested.::)

Thank you, Lissa

8. Click Here!

9. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Thank u Scott,

Can you tell me what the dimensions are approx. on the AquaC remora HOB, only because I have limitation on mounting such attachment to back of the tank. Can this be side mounted, and if so is it small enough not to be an eye sore ??

Lissa:kiss:

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I really hope it does the trick for you, it did for me!
    but with you amount of fish might need to change water
    weekly or so. feed your fish no more than what they would eat
    in 5min. and limit to once a day till yellow water clear up!

>))))*>

11. lissa

lissa Astrea Snail

Thanks;D for the advice...will try anything at this point.

12. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I ran my tank for a good 4 months without a skimmer but I did have LR and LS.

First thing I would do is keep the filter you have but ditch the bio-wheel. It's a trap for nitrate buildup. Buy some carbon sacks and place the in the filter so that water from the tank flows through the sack and back into your aquarium. Run this for about a month. You should be able to see a remarkable difference. If you can, take a "before & after" shot of the water (no flash).

As far as water changes go, I am not a big fan of this personally speaking. My tank is one year old this week and never done a water change. Params are where they're supposed to be and my water is crystal clear. I run carbon every second month religiously.

Your parameters are fine so I don't see a need for a water change (especially 5 months into it). Give your water a chance to mature and stabilize.

Good luck!

PS: And like Omard said.......NEVER turn on the fire place.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008