Yellow Watchman Goby strange behavoir

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Stammer, Feb 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I reported in a different post that my Yellow Watchman Goby went missing. He dissapeared the day after I bought him and put him into my tank. Did not find him. I had even looked in my overflow box.... or so I thoiught. I was cleaning out my filter box today and had removed the sponge on the intake and there he was! So I put him back in the tank and within an hour he was back in the overflow box! So I removed him and put him back in the tank but all he wants to do is hover near the top rim of the tank. I even shooed him down into the lower depths and he returns right back to the top. He just hangs in the upper corners of the tank. I thought Gobies were bottom dwellers? What's up and what do I do?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

He should not be hanging around the top.

Do you have enough flow to provide enough O2?

Any current parameters?

Is another fish in the lower level bullying him?

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Gobies are notorious jumpers. They're looking for a better tidepool to jump into.

5. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

Yea.....he's back into the overflow box! (So is that the "safer/quieter" place)? I put egg crate over the overflow box , but somehow he got down thru that then thru the j-tube into the output box where my output tube and sponge is! Reminds me of "Finding Nemo" movie scene in the Dentist's office fishtank! I guess I will try a screen, but I am afraid I will find him lying on top the screen in the morning.....

6. bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976 Banned

Let us know how this goes, also if he is getting bullied, I would shut the lights off move the rock around and then see what happens. Territory is tricky on these tanks. Another thing is flow, how much do you have. I have a goby and he is never 6 inches off the bottom.

7. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

He is back in the overflow, and has been living there for all of this week. All my other fish are doing fine.... I am not sure what I am going to do with him. I have good water movement and flow... Or do I have too much? I would think if it is too much he would head for one of the caves or deadspots behind some rocks. Weird!:-/

8. Click Here!

9. RubberSideDown

RubberSideDown Astrea Snail

What other fish do you have? I just found out (the hard way) that my engineer goby was NOT compatible with my watchman goby.

The last time I tried a yellow watchman, my six line wrasse bullied him to the point of suicide (jumper).

10. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

No, the other fish have not even looked in his direction, that is when he stays in the tank long enough for the other fish to see him. My other fish include; 1 clown fish, 2 blue/green Chromis, 1 Coral Beauty Angel, & 1 powder Brown Tang. I pulled him out of the filter overflow box again today. This time I netted him in a large net and put it at the bottom of the tank against the glass. I turned daytime lights off and just had LED moonlights on, hoping to "calm" him down. Within a couple of hours he found his way in betwen the glass and the net..... yea, you guessed it, up and outa there!!!!:confused: