Unresolved Yellow Watchman Goby (looking worse)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mike007, Mar 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

I got him about 3 days ago and he's looked healthy. my problem now is that when I woke up this morning, his fins were a little cut up. Now they are even worse. I don't have any other predator type fish in the tank, he's the only fish other than a neon goby. I have a skunk cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp.

Can someone tell me what may be causing this? Thanks.

Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

He should recover, but im guessing the neon may have nipped at him since he is new. MY neon attacks every new fish for a few days then he cools down.

4. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Really? I've had my neon for a year now and he's never nipped at anything. :confused:

I guess it could be that and I'm sure he's going to recover, I guess I was so shocked, I couldn't understand what possibly would have been causing it.

Thanks for the quick reply

5. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

He's looking worse, :cry:

This morning when I turned on my lights, he was up on the powerhead. He got off it himself and went to the sand, but he's a little more torn up than he was yesterday. :( I don't get it, He's eating well. He's been eating well since the very first day I had him.

I noticed my blood shrimp was chasing him around a bit this morning, could he be causing this? My neon goby has shown no agression towards him, in fact, they were in the same burrow this morning. My nassarius snails seem to be moving towards him a lot.:(

Anyone know what I should do? I thought about separating him from the rest of the tank, but I have no idea what I would be separating him from?? :(

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would remove the shrimp to the sump for now and see it the fish gets better. The shrimp maybe just trying to clean the fish or may be acting in an aggressive manner.

Do you have an serpent star fish?

1 person likes this.
  7. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

No to the starfish.

I can't move the shrimp to the sump, because I don't have one. :( Now the shrimp isn't chasing him around anymore though..

8. Click Here!

9. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Do you have a QT tank or any other tank setup to put the shrimp?

1 person likes this.
  10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I would seperate the neon, less stress on the watchmen, and if possible rearrange some rock work. Let the watchmen settle in, chill out some and then add the neon back.

11. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

I have a couple ten gallon tanks, but no filter to put on them. What would I need to have as filtration?

Why the neon? It is showing no aggression towards the watchman. They were in the same burrow just fine together..

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Why the neon? It is showing no aggression towards the watchman. They were in the same burrow just fine together..

sorry, missed that part of your update. Obviously something is doing it, unless it's a horrible case of fin rot, which I doubt. But the snail and the shrimp are obviously sensing his stress. I would seperate it from everybody if it were me, but you could just wait it out.

1 person likes this.