Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Shrimp Pair?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by TheSaltwaterGuy, Nov 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

You should be ok. Make sure your rocks are stable and on the bottom of the tank. Push them down in the sand. Your grain size is 0.5 to 1.7. Mine is 1.0-2.0. I think it will be ok.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rogersjw

rogersjw Skunk Shrimp

how deep of a sand bed is needed? oh and K+ to you, and to the OP, because I was about to ask the same question. :)

4. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

is the pistols shot more powerful then a mantis shrimps punch?:confused:

5. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

The power of one vs another I couldnt say which is stronger. but just in the speed of a mantis shrimp vs the blast from a pistol shrimp, I think the mantis shrimp will win. I even watched a video of a mantis vs pistol shrimp....mantis won.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The tiger pistol I have will snap at just about everything in the tank, but has never been a risk to my fish and doubt they really could do any harm to a fish.

A mantis on the other hand can catch fish and is preditor so I see very little similarities between the two with regard to behaviors and risk towards fish.

7. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

Mantis wins 99% of the time on that one. Pistols have been over rated b/c of that video of there punch being hot as the sun i think. There punch needs pressure from the ocean for enough friction to do that.

8. Click Here!

9. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

I would guess that pistols need at least 3in of sand to keep them happly digging away but i'm sure ppl have kept them with more or less than that not that i would recommend it.

10. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Corailine EVERYTHING is correct my tiger pistol goes bananas over orange hermit crab shells. I don't know why, but he attacks them for at least five mins straight. That's how I keep him on one side of the tank, I just line them up in the middle of the tank. He is scared of the color orange I guess. ;D

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ok i hear you!

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

yeah it;s pretty insane to me