Yellow tint still

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by snaggit, May 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

I've had my tank cycling for about a week and a half now. 125g. In the past with my fresh water tanks I've added some form of formula or whatever to get the cycle going with success, instead of adding danios. Anyway, The day after I got my tank running I added some stuff to the tank instead of adding damsels and before I read about the cocktail shrimp. Anyway after i added the #%!@ the water took on a yellow tint. I posted about it and was told it may be excess bio or the live rock leaching it out and to add some carbon filters. Well, I did add the carbon filters and it didnt help. I decided to use the protein skimmer. I would pour out the waste water and it would be a brownish yellow, but it still didnt help the yellow haze at all. I've been running the skimmer for about 2 days now. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

What exactly did you add to the tank?

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

add more carbon and wait some more. live rock can have alot of die off. in the fish business most stuff wont happen over night.

5. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

I added some stuff called Cycle.

6. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

With the die off, does it usually turn the water yellow?

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I would continue with a barrage of w/c's and increased carbon usage and skimming.
    This is called gelbstof-German for yellowing or yellow matter.
    Carbon, skimming and w/c's are all you can really do at this time.
    Some companies put out scavenger resins that they claim uptake more "yellow" than carbon....IME doubtful.

Keep up cleaning the tank, remove as much detritus as possible and keep your head up, it will pass.

Happy reefing!

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

not usually but whats dieing of will make a difference, im not sure what it is that makes it yellow besides possible plant matter. but i have heard of a few case of it turning yellow. also many times at lfs the liverock tank will have a yellow tint, since it continually takes in very dirty rock.

10. snaggit

snaggit Astrea Snail

One more question, like I said Ive had my skimmer going for a few days and about an hour ago I went to check how things were going and the skimmer was no longer having a flow of "dirty bubbles" that goes into the top container/waste water bucket. I checked all the connections and everything appeared to be working as usual. Any obvious reason for this?

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

probably a change in surface tension, can be a raise or fall of water level in the sump. or even if you stick your hand in the tank some skimmers will stop skimming for a few hours.
    also i would expect you skimmer to drop off eventually after it removes some the initial waste of the the liverock. as it wont be the same as with fish that continually produce waste. i wouldnt expect that to happen yet. you may notice your skimmer improves after a week or two when it breaks in

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

What type of skimmer are you running? How long has it been running?