Yellow tank w ich. Nothing to covered in hours!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PLyons, Feb 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PLyons

PLyons Astrea Snail

My yellow Tang appears to have ick. Never has SW tank w ick, but it looks just like ick I've dealt with in FW. I got the Tank last Thursday and all has been fine until this evening. I acclimated him correctly and kept the lights out for a while to let him calm down. The same day I also added about 10lbs of additional LR that had been curing for a couple weeks.

This evening when I went to feed the tank I noticed the specks on his fins, no other fish show signs. He is still eating well, but seems frantic. I have also been feeding him Omega One seaweed sheets soaked in garlic juice (fresh squeezed).

My problem is I don't have a QT and can't get one set up in time........I know, I need to get one! I have many inverts and some Zoas nd a GSP. I don't know how to treat this when I can't remove the fish to a QT. I need suggestions ASAP.

PARAMETERS
    Temperature: 78
    PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Salinity: 1.022
    dKH/KH/Alkalinity: unknown
    Magnesium: unknown
    Calcium: unknown
    Phosphate: unknown
    Test kits you own: API Saltwater Master test kit
    Liquid or Strips: liquid
    Are they Expired?: no, brand new

Tank size? 75gal
    Estimated total system? 90gal w sump

Reef, fish only or, freshwater?
    Reef
    Current inhabitants? What and how many?
    Clean up crew? Snails, emeral crab, hermits, coral banded shrimp, feather dusters, sleeper banded goby, yellow tail damsel, yellow tang, 2 Zoas and GSP

How long has your tank been set-up?
    3 months
    Substrate. Live sand
    Type? Caribsea
    Depth? 2 inch

Live rock? Yes
    How much? 70lbs +/-
    Did you recently add some? Yes, 10lbs on 2/7

Filtration. Berlin style sump and Rena xP3 canister
    Type?
    Protein skimmer? Coralife
    Do you wet or dry skim? Wet
    Maintenance schedule for filtration? Clean filter .socks weekly and canister every 2 weeks
    Drilled tank/hang on back overflow? HOB overflow

Lighting.
    Lighting type? Coralife Aqualight pro 150w MH's w compact fluorescent acintic lights
    Age of bulbs? Brand new

Feeding
    What? Frozen brine, frozen mysis, pellets, seaweed strips
    How often? Once in the morning and once in evening

Water change schedule.
    How much? 10-20%
    How often? Every 2weeks
    What salt brand? Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
    Water source?

Additives/supplements used? purple up

Do you have a ground probe? No
    What kind of flow does your tank have? 1300 GPS power head, mag12, and whatever the flow is coming from my canister.

Any help will be appreciated. I really don't want to loose my fish, but I fear that its going to be very hard to treat this w/o a QT

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

My black tang got ick pretty bad. I fed him alot and ran a good UV

4. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

WalMart totes make good QT. I have the same problem. Brought home a hippo tang and moved him into the DT to quickly. It had spots right away. The other tank mates looked fine for a couple weeks, but now the whole tank is infested. From the reading I've done, the only way to truly get rid of it is to remove every fish and leave your DT fishless for 6-8 weeks. The fish have to go into QT in either hyposalinity (1.008-1.010) or treat with copper based treatments.

Here's a good link to read up on it.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

5. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

6. Stevefromtpsfld

Stevefromtpsfld Bristle Worm

Good luck. Hope you catch it before it spreads too badly.

7. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

It may just be stressed from the move, making it susceptible to illness. I would probably just keep feeding with the garlic and make NO other changes to avoid further stressing it. As long as everything else is happy and well fed, hopefully it will not spread. It doesn't sound like, "trying to rid your tank of every last microscopic ich parasite," is very feasible at this point. Are there any other fishes bugging it?

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

10. FishMagnet

FishMagnet Plankton

I'd like to mention the cleaner shrimp. Though it can't cure your ich problem, most fish and every tang I've ever kept love being cleaned and especially love their services during an ich outbreak.
    I've always kept a pair of cleaners in every tank. How much they have helped is unknown but if for no other reason then them adding a possible relief from the suffering of symptoms I consider them a important disease combatant.

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

You should read up on the tank transfer method for combating ick.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1 Since this is a reef tank, you can not treat for Ich in your tank. None of the magical Ich killing reef safe medicines have ever been proven to be effective (AFAIK).

As far as not being able to do a QT, grab a 10 gal tank next time Petco has their $/gal sale. Get a sponge filter in your DT sump run by a small air pump. This will be moved over to the QT once you need it. Then you just need a small heater and a small pico powerhead would be nice. Any kind of light will work since you just need it to monitor the fish, nothing fancy. Total investment of less than $50 and can prevent such occurrences in the future. Keep fish in the QT (by themselves) for ideally 4-6 weeks.