Yellow Tangs Flourish in Neglected Ocean of Biosphere 2

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The ocean is 600,000 gallons. Its not like counting fish in a small tank. the need to mark the ones they caught. They need to repeat this process a few times to get an accurate population estimate. Who knows how many fish are there. It also said that there were only 6 students working on the project. Unless you have actually had to do pop counts in large bodies of water, you won't understand the time it takes to get an accurate estimate.

2. Click Here!

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

hehehe biosphere 2 was not completely closed off.. they were bringing in candy bars, cheetos, McDonalds etc.. they were supposed to grow their own food. LOL the story is pretty good especially when you get to the part about the intimate relationships that werent supposed to happen, and the arguments and stuff. google it up, its a good read. ;D

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

Rotenone! :cheesy: no estimate needed!

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

LMAO, a kid in one of my classes decided to pour a bottle of it on top of a huge hog nose sucker. It got a bloody nose and died. He got thrown off the boat. If only the geni was on for the electroshocker.

6. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

lol, why spend that much money on a biosphere when you can ask experienced aquarists here. : P

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Obviously, someone did not read the article. That was not the point of the biosphere.

8. Click Here!

9. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

lol, i did, i was kidding, just referring to our endless experiences with yellow tangs. :)

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

There is no point of it now, they turned off all the filtration. Its basically a saltwater lake. All the corals have died(not surprising).
    You can't hope to replicate a reef like(the barrier for example) in any setting, basically the whole ocean plays a part in the ecosystem, they only brought a handful of organisms. I would think any data that was gained could have gathered in a less flashy and expensive fashion.

If I may quote the cartoon version of pauly shore from futurama
    ;D

11. doog

doog Peppermint Shrimp

since when can't a guy make fun of some college students...