Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Raimond, Aug 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

My Yellow Tang is staying at the bottom of the tank in the corner. He is kind of darting around in a circle. I noticed two small black dots on his side along his lateral line, looks like Ich but black.

He ate well this AM, garlic soaked flakes, blood worms, mysis and brine shrimp I keep mixed up in the frig. Yesterday he ate seaweed as usual and was fine.

5 Mins later, he is out of the corner but still doing the circles.

Up Date, as I re-read this I thought about LLD. Did some searching and for now I added a ground to the tank until I find my meter... No matter how many I buy I can never find one when needed... Another story.
    The dots after looking closer are above the LL not on it as I thought.

Tank Prams.
    AM - 0
    Nitrites -0
    Nitrates 40 - PWC today
    SAL - 1.025
    Temp - 81.2 (May have a small outbreak of Ich, too many inverts to go Hypo)
    CA -450
    KH - 10

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

I bought a cleaner shrimp yesterday and the tang looks much better today. No hanging out in the corner or swimming in circles. I guess the shrimp was worth the price I had to shell out.

4. initial_reefer

initial_reefer Bristle Worm

I would suggest getting a cleaner wrasse, as i picked one up last weekend and its cheap and effective . I have a cleaner shrimp too who services my kole tang and the wrasse services my clown tang.

Semper fidelis

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please google "Black Ich", this is a pathogen you see occassionally on tangs. I agree a cleaner shrimp is great for removing those nasty pathogens especially on tangs. I would not buy a cleaner wrasse though, this is a fish that needs to clean other fish to feed itself and most do poorly long term (greater than 1 year) secondary to the lack of parasites and such that it would normal clean off fish in the wild.

6. Raimond

Raimond Bristle Worm

Thanks for the info... Semper Fi IR...
    I got a cleaner shrimp about two weeks ago but I have not seen any of the fish do anything but look at him although he is advertising his service. About a week ago I added two neon gobies and they are cleaning the puffer several times a day.

The tang looks fine now, no spots, rubbing the rock.... The puffer is the only one with spots now. I tried Kick Ich and saw no improvement, however I did loose most of my snails during that period. I am trying Marine-Max right now on a suggestion, too early to know if it is working...