Yellow Tang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Jafotom, Jan 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

My yellow tang has some red blotches near the back half of its body. Does anyone know what this is and how to treat it? I have a reef tank.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

It could have picked a fight with something and it could be blood. Other than that idea, I would need more info. How big is the tank? What other fish do you have? Parameters? Other info?

4. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

I have a 125 gallon tank. 2 yellow tangs, 1 kole tang, 1 hippo tang, 1 fairy wrasse, 2 bar gobys, & 1 marroon clown.

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Do you have pictures? I wouldn't be surprised if they two yellow tangs got in a fight. A 125 is a little on the small side for having two tangs of one genus. Also, maroon clowns have a mean streak, so the tang could have fought the maroon clownfish. Also, sometimes tangs of separate genus fight. 4 tangs is in a 125 is pushing it, although I think it is ok. Observe how your tangs interact. When my yellow tang is threatened by something or I add a new fish, it will it's make it's fins fully erect to show everyone how big it is. If you see your tangs sizing each other up or puffing up their fins near each other, you may have your problem. It could also be a skin parasite. If the tang is itching because of a skin parasite, it might try to scratch itself on some rock and cut itself.

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Have you tested your water? PH and ammonia in particular?

7. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

All of my tangs have been together for many years with no issues. same for the marroon clown. I checked my PH and ammonia about a week ago. I will check it again tonight

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

How big were they when you got them versus now? Sometimes fish will get along as juveniles but start to fight as they mature. However, it would seem that they would already have started fighting. If your tank is very mature like a multiple year tank would almost certainly be, I wouldn't worry too much about ammonia, but it doesn't hurt to check. pH, though could still be a problem.

10. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

PH is 8.4 and ammonia is zero. The yellow tangs are about 4 inches long. I have had them for about 6-7 years. My tank is about 8 years old. I started with fish only and went to reef about 1.5 years ago. I have about 160 lbs of live rock and a 3 inch base of crushed shells.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

sounds like an internal parasite or infection to me. I have seen this in yellow tangs in particular several times. There is a product out there called "prazipro" that I think you should use. I put a little prazipro in a bucket of freshwater (same temp as tank) and then let the fish swim in there untill it starts to get stressed. Then return to the main tank.

12. Jafotom

Jafotom Plankton

I dont know if I will be able to get him out of the tank