Yellow Tang with ich, and black spots

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kamel, Oct 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Thanks for your positive input. We're getting him ready for his bath now. Decided to go ahead and do the dip with methylene blue. Once finished with that he'll have a QT with new salt water.

Also after he's settled back in will try and get him to eat with some mysis shrimp see if he likes that, since he isn't going for the flakes or the seaweed. Going to only put 1 or 2 in front of him, if he doesn't go for it, I'll stick to the seaweed.

Do you think it'd be ok to leave some on a clip so he can eat when he's feeling up to it?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like you are doing everything you can do. Do not be too disappointed if he does not make it. You fought the good fight, but there is only so much you can do sometimes, despite our best efforts fish get disease and die.

Good Luck

4. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Alright, did everything.... it was immensely stressful for myself and the fish. I've not done a fresh water dip before, but I followed the directions VERY closely

I followed these directions (Freshwater Dip Process - Reef Sanctuary), but only gave him a 5 minute bath, then about 15 mins later did a 2.5 min bath, before putting him back in the QT which we did a 100% water change in.

He's not doing so well, after the bath he refuses to upright himself. He's just barely breathing on the bottom of the tank. I don't know how he could have gone from eating happily with no visible problems 24 hours ago to this. Now I'm not sure if it was something I did or just what would have happened to the fish had I just left him alone all together.

I'm nearly ready to see if the LFS will take him back and try to nurse him to health.... Don't know if it's my inexperienced hand causing this or what, but it sure is depressing.

5. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Thanks for all of your help. It's with great regret that I inform you guys that he didn't make it. I don't know what exactly it could have been, but I did learn plenty from this experience.

I will be very careful with my fish selection in the future, and will be sure to be prepared for any medical emergency the fish might have before getting the fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your fish.

It is very disappointing but you really went beyond the call of duty and probably learned more than you ever wanted to know about fish diseases.

Thank you for the update.

7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sorry for your loss, bud. Don't get discouraged and keep it up. Research is the key.
    Tangs have a high propensity to getting sick with ich. Read up and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're here to help you put together a beautiful aquarium. You can count on 3reef.

- Mag.

8. Click Here!

9. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Unfortunately, while research is important, it's not the most important thing in this hobby IME. The most important thing is a reliable source of accurate information. This is something I've yet to come across.