Yellow Tang with ich, and black spots

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Kamel, Oct 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

I would not consider this urgent as in the fish wont make it through the night, but I do consider it urgent.

I have a yellow tang in my 20gal QT. We received him about a week and a half ago. He went directly into the QT as all new fish do, and he began to get a mild case of ich (less than 10 spots over all, flashing less often than once per hour). I began treatment with copper, specifically cupramine from seachem. He did not get a fresh water dip before entering as I don't have the stuff for a proper dip yet. He is now at the full concentration of copper, has been for 2-3 days (forgot which).

The ich seemed to have disappeared mostly around 5 days ago, and he stopped flashing. I haven't noticed any further ich spots since then.

Yesterday I noticed he had some black spots on him and he was flashing again (less often than once an hour). The black spots are in total estimating 5-15 of them on the entire body. They are VERY tiny, difficult to see. I would guess that it would be very likely in many people's care they may have gone unnoticed. They are roughly 1/10th the size of a grain of salt and don't appear to be increasing or decreasing in population as far as I can tell.

Any idea what this could be? Will the copper treatment also treat this? Is it normal, or just a side effect of copper? Anything further I should do to treat this in addition to the ich?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You need to google Black Ich. It is actually a worm and the black spots are a result of bleeding. Check it out and see what you think.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

There is a thing called "black ich"...im pretty sure its the same thing as ich, but i would google it jsut to be sure.

5. Corailline

Hi :wave: and Welcome,

Any new updates on the tang ?

6. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

I've checked out black ich and guess that's the only thing it could be. I just don't see reference to how much smaller these dots are than regular ich which makes me wonder.

Now I dont see as many spots, but still very difficult to see. I got some methylene blue at the LFS today to do a freshwater+methylene dip on him today.

This evening, unfortunately, he has all of a sudden stopped eating. He was eating fine this morning (last thing fed was some seaweed with garlic). Now he wont even eat his favorite food (the flakes, oddly enough). He's also flashing a bit more often and seems more lethargic, not swimming as much as before. Also, he seems to be 'tilting' either left or right, and he will tilt to about a 30 degree angle then upright himself again.

I had already bought some amquel for ammonia etc for the freshwater dip, so I went ahead and added the recommended dose (10ml). Due to this did not run a new line of tests yet. Wanted to know if amquel will make your tests no longer accurate as I've read is true with many ammonia detoxifiers.

I haven't tried to entice him into eating with frozen food or anything yet, but do you guys think I should go ahead and do the fresh water bath (+methylene blue)?

7. Corailline

8. Click Here!

9. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

First link didn't work. Also, I'm fighting 2 separate issues here. The tang originally had standard marine ich, which I haven't visibly seen since the cupramine was added, and now I'm beginning to see this black ich, which seems less.

I am concerned about him not eating and the lack of the coordination. I'm certainly going to get a freshwater dip ready for him tomorrow early. Way too tired to do it tonight unfortunately :(.

10. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

It's not to late to save a life!

11. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

Believe me, I would stop at nothing to help this guy out just let me know what to do. This morning his condition has declined rapidly. He will hardly get out of his cup (hiding spot in QT lol) which he almost never entered before, and when he first swam out he was scooting along the bottom until he flashed, swam around for just a moment, then right back in the cup.

I don't know why he is getting worse, but I'm about to do a freshwater dip and rather than trying to figure out what the water parameters are in the QT, I'm just going to do a 100% water change then add the copper back in its original concentration.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I had the same problem when I just added my tang in. It took only a few days to get completely infested with the regular ich, then the larvae or black ich, I guess, started to show up in big numbers.

I gave him a 4 minute RO/DI dip (make sure you throw an aireator in the bucket) and he got all better in no time!

I would only do the freshwater dip if it's VERY infested, as freshwater dips will stress the fish as well. You'll see it freak out as soon as you put him in the freshwater. Then the formaline bath would also help a lot by itself or in combination with the freshwater dip.

Make sure you feed him very well. Soak the food on garlic extract if he refuses to eat or shows little interest in food.

Good luck, and keep us updated!