Yellow Tang with black specs on body

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by tuna_fishe, Jun 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tuna_fishe

tuna_fishe Plankton

Hi Guys! The last few days I notice that my Yellow Tang has black specs or dots all over his body. All my parameters are good. He is eating well. The symptoms doesn't sound like ich. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. GradeAMoses

GradeAMoses Astrea Snail

Sounds like Tang Disease or "Black Ich." If you search the web I'm sure you'll find more on these nasty buggars, but a freshwater dip followed by some QT time should save the day.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Same problem as regular Ich though, they will remain in the DT for some time.

5. anthonyi

anthonyi Plankton

Here's how I solved my problem months ago with black ich and regular ich without losing a fish. First I adding a cleaner wrasse for my yellow tang. After he cleaned my yellow tang my 2 clown fish and my 2 black clowns had a bad problem with ich. I did my own research and added a UV sterilizer to my aquarium. It did the job and also my water quality has never been better. I would look into it. I've never lost a fish. Aquarium been up and running for over a year now with no issues.

6. tuna_fishe

tuna_fishe Plankton

Thanks guys! It does sound like it's black ich. I am researching it right now. Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank. Probably have to also research on how to set up a quick hospital tank.

7. tuna_fishe

tuna_fishe Plankton

OK. QT might not be an option. Is there a way to cure this black ich in the DT? I don't have any coral but do an an anemone?

8. Click Here!

9. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

Hello Tuna,
    I went through the black ich with my yellow as well. The good news is that black ich isn't as hard to get rid of as white spot. I didn't use a Qt to rid my tang of it. Now I am not a believer of the freshwater dips usually because I had no luck with them when we were battling white spot but I was told to do one with the tang and then I did one dose of melifax. It worked very well. Within a few hours after the dip all the spots were gone and have not returned. That was 2 months ago. Hope this helps.
    Michelle