Yellow tang with a problem

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Iceman30, Jan 29, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iceman30

Iceman30 Astrea Snail

I have a yellow tang, about 3", he grew up in a 50 gallon cube, now in a 30 long, actually more swimming room, he has never been a swimmer, hides most of the time, very timid for a tang..anyway, he has seemingly red sores, some down his laterial line, around his tangs, and his belly area, first I thought that he was scraping against the live rock..no ich or anything evident to suggest scraping, he is still eating well, I use garlic additive to food, was thinking about picking up some selcon tomorrow..any ideas? He doesn't seem stressed, same ol sponge bob, always runs and hides when anyone, even me comes to the tank, he has done it since he was the size of a quarter.

any ideas would be great, the color of the areas are a light red.

water paramaters are 0,0,0...cal 380 dkh 8.3 temp swings .5 degrees max day and night.temp at 79.0

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

it sounds like an internal bacteria infection this is called dropsy and its close to what you are describing

dropsy

it has treatment instuctions on the page

also i moved your topic to the ASAP section

4. mojo_jo_jo

mojo_jo_jo Plankton

what kind of food are you feeding your tang?

5. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

this is generally caused from stress or its a ,Vibrio infection,
    give me a few and i will find a pic so you can compare ;)

td

6. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

does it look like this? this is a pic of Reeflady's tang Chiquita

[​IMG]

Some identifiers that will show up if it is indeed vibrio is Listlessness, loss of appetite, erratic swimming behavior, and a possible change in color. You might also see some fin deterioration

td

7. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

If this is indeed Vibrio, it's best to remove the tang to a QTANK, and medicate with EM tablets in order to kill the bacteria
    there is also some stuff caled "Kanacyn" made by aquatronics, that has worked for some

and keep in mind that most infections are due to stress, some can happen w/o the stress, but i think that stress is one of the causes here, i am sorry to say that your tank is too small for a yellow tang, they need more swimming room than what he/she has in the tank
    please understand that im not trying to hurt you feelings, that is just my opinion ;)

HTH

td

8. Click Here!

9. charisse

charisse Plankton

What was decided about the yellow tang pictured? diagnosis? This is how my tank looked but she is all better.