Yellow Tang ..White speck on Pectoral Fin

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by John Alston, Nov 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

My yellow tang, introdcued last Wednesday into my 65 gal tank, has developed a white fleck in the end of his pec fin. there are no spots on his body, he is lively and has aclimated well with his tank amtes (two clowns). The clowns don't have any signs os specks. The tank is about 6 weeks old, water specs are 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, 15 to 20 nitrate, 8.1 ph, 1.025 sg 79.9 to 80.1 degrees F. Should I be worrying and if so, what should i do?

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

That is probably ich. It often starts with one spot then spreads. Tangs are quick to get ich when they are stressed. It's possible the nitrates are doing it.

If you don't have corals you can use a copper based medication. If you do, there are a lot of ways people try to get rid of it, you might do a water change to help the nitrates let it be, it should be fine. I raise my temp to 82 when one shows a bit of ich but some people don't recommend this. (It will cause the parasite to fall off)

Good luck!

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

just watch it it might just be a tumor or something. i had tang that had a white spot on the fin that never went away. one other person had this on his YT also.

if it spreads or goes away its ich if not then its nothing.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Probably stress of the transport mostly. If it's ich that is... Is he scratching himself on the rocks? My Regal had it for a few days then I though it went away.. now he has a lot of spots. If you have a cleaner shrimp it may help him feel better if he gets ich. Not sure if it actually does anything, but he spends a lot of time getting cleaned. I wouldn't use copper in my main tank no matter if there are corals/ inverts or not. You never know what you may want to do in the future and you don't want any remnants of that in there.

To properly treat it you need a QT tank.

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

+1 never put copper in the tank, it gets embedded i guess you could say in the rock and leaches out over time.. very bad for inverts as well.. i would supplement with garlic to get him eating and get his metabolism and in turn his immune system up. Keep an eye on him, sounds like it's not that big of a problem yet.

7. wpmcgree

wpmcgree Astrea Snail

I have a clown surgeon and he has a white spot on his right fin and a small one on his left. I too am not sure what this is. He seems to be fine. He is eating and we recently just did a 10G water change to our 75 gallon tank last friday. Any help would too also be greatly appreciated.

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Id watch it for a few days. I had that same issue with my yellow tang...got a white spot on his Pectoral fin....bigger then ich maybe the size of the head of a pin (head not tip). It was right after I moved him into the tank. A week or so later it went away, and has not come back (2+ years later).

10. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

my yellow tang is the same way but he isn't acting any different feed your tang plain fresh broccoli just make sure the piece is on the bottom of the tank or he might not eat it but that is just how my tangs act it could be stress did your tang ever have a white strip across his whole body at the same level as the white spots my yellow tang had that when i first added it but it went away over night it was just stress

11. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

i do have a qt tank but it's only 10 g. is this large enough for a 3 1/2" yt? the speck is closer to the size of teh head of a pin as APC had. i have macro algae in nother tank. would it be OK to put some in my main tank with the YT? i did a 5g water change last night. is it normal for ich to take a week to develop. thanks for all your input, it's very much appreciated.

12. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

no, there was no white strip MTips18. just the two lateral strips on each side.