Yellow Tang v. Yellow Tang ?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Vbagate, Sep 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vbagate

Vbagate Flamingo Tongue

ah, very misleading thanks... I've been really trying to get tank-bred fish only. But I'm sure nothing in my tank is now. O

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

This fish is a herbivore, grazing on alga and other plant life. It is best kept in an aquarium that has good algae growth, where in turn they earn their keep by helping to keep the algae growth cropped. It will feed on Nori (dried or roasted seaweed), other green vegetable matter and vitamin enriched flakes, but may nibble at dried shrimp and other meaty fares as well. Using a lettuce clip or placing the Nori under a rock or piece of coral. This mimics its natural feeding habits. In the wild its lifestyle is one of a constant cruising and grazing.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

"Tank raised" and "tank bred" are two different things. "Tank raised" is when they get a juvenile fish that's wild caught, and raise it until it's bigger. You're thinking of "tank bred".

If you're going for all tank bred fish, you have too look out for local reefers who are doing it, or stick with a very limited selection of mostly banggai cardinals and clowfish.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

not necessarily true our biggest problems are raising fish past the larval stage, while there are huge losses in the wild in the larval they also face heavy predation once post larval, something that wouldn't happen in the aquariums.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vbagate

Vbagate Flamingo Tongue

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Seano - what they mean is

as small fish they are liable to be predated on by larger fish and other things in the sea
    but if kept in tanks away from predators then the number of fish that should survive to adulthood is theoretically better

Steve

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I guess that's the way I was thinking of it. I mean... I thought there would be a higher survival rate in adults than juvies, in shipment & at the store, not necessarily in the wild or even in out own tanks.

10. Vbagate

Vbagate Flamingo Tongue

Does anyone know the details on how these fish are shipped around the world? Whats the DOA rate? etc?

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

They're mostly from Hawaii AFAIK, so they're not caught using really harmful methods like cyanide fishing. They get stressed easily, so there's a high chance of death when in a situation like a Petco. At stores where they'll work to get them to eat, it's a low chance.

12. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't know about this because aren't adults harder to get to eat dead food with many species? Also, they need more air and poop more.

Then again, I guess it's possible the adult fish have a better coat that protects them when going into new tank water like how bull sharks can freely swim up into freshwater rivers once they are adults.