Yellow Tang Sick??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Stefanie720, Sep 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stefanie720

Stefanie720 Astrea Snail

Hello all!

My yellow tang started acting very strangely a couple of days ago....and I think its getting worse! please help anyone- i love this fish!

The tang is acting extremely stressed, he hasn't been swimming but only hiding in the rocks and is very touchy if any other fish comes by. He is also breathing very hard consistently. Yesterday he wasnt even interested in food! I am really worried I will lose him, can anyone help?!

I tested the water today again and everything is great--all of the other fish (a damsel and a clown, along with 2 urchins, snails, and crabs) are doing just fine, too!

Nitrate: 5mg/L
    Nitrite: 0.5mg/L
    Alkalinity: 250KH
    PH: 8.6
    Ammonia: 0 mg/L
    Specific Gravity: 1.023

Thank you for your help!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Does he look like he has ick?

4. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

The nitrite is a huge problem, how big is the tank and fish, and how long has it been set up?

~Will.

5. Stefanie720

Stefanie720 Astrea Snail

hey no i cant really see any visible signs of ick or anything like that but it is hard to see him since he is hiding. i will try and get him to come out to get a better look. and the nitrite is still totally in the safe zone, yea? its a 72gallon tank and it has been set up for about 2 or 3 years i would say...but i have only had it for a year

6. Stefanie720

Stefanie720 Astrea Snail

and the tang is about 4 inches long

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

The safe zone for nitrite is 0. I would re-test to make sure its accurate. Nitrites should only be present when cycling. If your next test comes up the same get some prime or amquel in that water ASAP.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. Stefanie720

Stefanie720 Astrea Snail

10. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

hey there I think you ph is kind of a problem as well as your nitrite I would suggest a water change soon like now soon!