Yellow Tang picky eater

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by pjracer, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I have a new yellow tang called sunshine and at the store they recommended this bottle of fuzzy phytes. I tried using it but it just passes by sunshine and he/she (not sure is it has a sex) just wont go after it.

So i added a clip with seaweed and i don't see much action with that either.

I'm concerned because i am new to saltwater and my tank has only been cured for 2 months and the LFS said that it would pick off the rocks. I don't know that there is much for it to pick from. I don't want it to get underfed and die.

Any suggestions on any other kind of food?

It is very active and constantly swimming.

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Julian Sprung Purple Weed is what I feed all my Tangs and they love it.

Be patient, the fish is probably still trying to adapt to the move.

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

As with almost any new fish, there is usually a period of "hunger strike" while they adjust to their new surroundings. For my tangs this period lasted about a week.

During this time I would personally hang a clip of nori (whatever brand/colour you like) and allow him to graze if he wants to. That way if he doesn't eat, you can remove the nori before it decomposes in your tank.

Fuzzy-phytes are great food, and my tangs love them, but if you tang isn't eating yet they will just pollute your tank if not eaten up.

Your tang will eventually eat - keep us posted.

5. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

Just give it some time, I'm sure he will start eating.

My Yellow Tang eats absolutely anything. Flake, Pellet, NORI, mysis, angel mix, bloodworms...he loves bloodworms. If it lasts a little longer you may want to soak some of the food in Garlic and see if that helps.

6. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

My yellow tang started out slow too. Now it's a pig. It'll eat anything I put in the tank. Absolutely loves mysis shrimp and the purple sea weed stuff.

7. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

I had the same issue with my Yellow Tang. It took about a week, but it is doing fine now.

In fact, it only figured out what the pellets were because a current of water blew one pretty much right into its mouth. Now it is fine.

Hang in there! It was a little frustrating for me at first too.... especially when I saw my cleaner shrimp appear from nowhere the second that food hit the tank, and chase it down. Meanwhile, the tang was oblivious. LOL

8. Click Here!

9. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

Great support. thank you all

10. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

if your really concerned you can try soaking some food in garlic. it's know to encourage picky eaters