Yellow tang need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by maveric3030, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

thats because i dont believe fin rot is a parasite. therefore you are correct, not treated by copper. but a copper treatment can never hurt. and im sure his tankmates arent helping the situation, tangs can be quite territorial.

2. Click Here!

3. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

Technically a copper treatment can hurt. It puts additional load on the fish, it is not only toxic to the parasite but is toxic to the fish which is why it must be maintained in a certain range. By putting the fish into copper you may only stress it more. I do agree that tangs can be territorial but he stated that the other tang is roughly the size of a quarter I believe so unless the yellow tang is very small I doubt its taking much crap from the other one.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd use the io lifeguard broad spectrum treatment since we don't really know what the problem is!

5. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

I bet those damsels are the culprit. They can be very aggressive.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i was gonna say, the tang isnt the only territorial fish in the tank capable of something like this.

7. maveric3030

maveric3030 Astrea Snail

ive only seen the banded shrimp mess with him. thats because hes is not swimming around too much and the shrimp just walked up to him and appeared to give it a hug. i will lookin into some rin rot treatments tommorrow at the fish store. nitrates are pretty much at 0 now.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Wow, this thread has gotten a little out of hand hasn't it. Yes, copper can hurt a fish. I would never treat with copper unless you know for sure it is a parasite. I don't see any signs of a parasite here. With the abrasions though, I would think that you are having an aggression problem that you aren't noticing. It sounds like he is hitting or running into something like LR or corals. I would think the damsels are the problem honestly. They only get aggressive when a fish gets in their territory IME.

I'm not to sure about fin rot either. I would research that one a little bit more.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Oh yeah, and people just jump to conclusions without helping the person find out what is actually wrong with something is a bad idea. You are going to end up giving wrong info which could lead to killing something or just chase people out of the hobby. The number one goal when somebody is having an issue with something should always be to try and get to the bottom of it. You might have to ask more questions. Not everyone is experienced on this forum to include myself.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah! i'd prob remove him if ya can! i used a $5 tupperware tote as my hospital tank and it worked great! At least let him calm down and get him eating again!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, that's why i like the idea of the instant ocean life guard, seems a little more mellow of a treatment than copper and its a broad spectrum treatment that will solve alot of probs! if he doesn't eat tomorrow, i'd get him out!