Yellow tang need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by maveric3030, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

corailine i am am only trying to help. but like i said, the best prevention and cure is a healthy tank and healthy fish. wich is difficult with an overstocked tank. i just suggested he get rid of them as soon as he can because that would help his case alot.

the size of the tangs does not matter, in the wild those fish probably swim several miles a day and confining them really to any size of tank is pretty bad. expecially a 55 gallon imo. but we all do it at some point in this hobby. filtration also does not matter with stocking tanks really. its not only the water quality its just the amount of room your fish has.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am just asking can we get some details about the system before we jump to conclusions. It very well might be over stocked. A tank with tangs and the basic filtration with a nitrate level of 20 is not a big concern for me personally.

No LFS will take back an sick tang, and taking it back will probably contribute to it's demise. If the tang does go back to the LFS (if not bought on line) the odds are that it will go again to a compromised tank, it's a catch 22.

I do believe tangs need to go in larger tanks eventually and better yet do not buy such fish with the idea that you are going to upgrade.

Personally I judge by the overall system and the health of the fish and an image, that is just me.

:)

1 person likes this.
  4. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

a picture would really help the experts with the problem and listing your whole system (equipments).
    your salinity is on the low side since you are keeping corals and 20ppm nitrates for a 55g tank is a bit high for me ( my own opinion) since you have sps corals.
    i have to let go of my 2 tangs on 90g sps dominated tank and it help with the water quality tremendously. everyone is right on what they posted. tank is highly overly overstocked but also corailline needs to know your over all system.
    corailline has helped a lot of people here including me.

1 person likes this.
  5. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Pictures would help.... Does he/she look like this?

Reefkeeping.com - Image

Zoanthids21 mention this is line disease

E

6. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

I agree, i bearly post here anymore because there are a few people that are way more harsh then they need to be. Definitely chases people away. Kind of. Sad

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Are ya feeding it the seaweed sheets? My tang loves them, i credit those laced with garlic to dringing him back from the dead due to ich! Here's a hint, instead of buying the ones from the LFS or online! Just go to your grocery store or asian market and pick up nori sheets! Just read the ingredients and make sure seaweed is the only one! no preservatives etc! i think 100 sheets are like $4 or so! then just drop some garlic or selcon on them!

8. Click Here!

9. maveric3030

maveric3030 Astrea Snail

the water test was done before a 15% water change thats done everyother wed. usually all my water parameters are decent. ive tried green marine algae but none of my fish touch it. ive been trying to get a decent picture but getting a fish to hold still is quite difficult.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

try adding some garlic extract to it! i think the important thing now is to keep him eating!

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I have green red and purple algae sheets. I put a few drops of selcon on them and even my damsel will eat it.

12. maveric3030

maveric3030 Astrea Snail

u mentioned tank size, a 75 gallon tank and 125 gallon tank are 4 feet long. a 55 gallon tank is 4 feet long, the tangs swim from side to side... not front to back so the depth of the tank doesnt play a big role as long as its not stuffed with rock. my blue tang is the same size of a quater. thats plenty of room. I'll admit it would be too small of a tank for adult tangs, but for now im good.