Yellow tang need help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by maveric3030, Jan 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. maveric3030

maveric3030 Astrea Snail

hey yall, my yellow tang is not lookin to well. he's been getting abbrasions on one side of his body. the fin on the same side of his body appears to be getting ripped up and i guess its the tip of the large anal fin appears to be gettin ripped up too. hes tries to eat but has problems chasing down to food with his gimpy fin. last water test was fine for the most part. nitrates was at 20. all other fish and coral are doing well. so i dont think it has anything to do with the water. i dont have any problems with aggression in my tank and hes the biggest guy in there. im feeding him spirulina flakes and small pellets. so visible signs of ich either. any ideas of what could cause his fins to deteriorate.

other fish: couple of damsels, 2 clownfish, blue tang, flame angel ( all really small in size) alot of lps and a few sps corals all doing great
    55 gallon tank- 60ilbs live rock
    water paramters: ammonia 0, nitrites:0 nitrates 20 ppm. dkh 10.salinity 1.021

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

It could be lateral line disease. Search that up and see if that matches.

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i dont see how your corals could be doing good with those water conditions, your tank is overstocked, and you are just now getting the repercussion. your have two tangs and an angel in a 55 gallon, thats a bit much. i would lose both the tangs and then your at a fairly comfortable stocking level. i would not suggest less than 75 gallons for a yellow and no less than 100 for a blue. i would get rid of both of them asap.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Give a rest please. The question is about the tang not the stocking. Be realistic.

2 people like this.
  6. maveric3030

maveric3030 Astrea Snail

thx zoa21. i figured that it had to be something with his diet and turns out one cause of the lateral line disease is dietary deficiencies. im gonna try to supplement some more vitamin rich food in his diet.

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

the best way to cure, or prevent parasite or disease is a healthy fish, therefore a healthy tank. an overstocked tank has neither.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

+1 to Coralline! HLLE sounds about right to me. Generally its is a water quality issue, and sometimes an plain old Captivity issue. What I did for my tang was start soaking quality frozen foods in Selcon and target feed them so he wont have to chase very far. My look like they are bottle feeding these days lol.

1 person likes this.
  10. Toomuch420

Toomuch420 Plankton

+1 on tank being WaY overstocked 2 tangs in a 55
    That's not only Irresponsible but just cruel.
    Doesn't anyone do homework anymore
    Google is your best friend

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

the tank is overstocked, and you should look into that. but right now the best way to treat your disease is healthy diet, and great water quality. which is a lot harder with so much fish in your tank.

i would try your hardest to get your nitrates down a bit. but i doubt that is the culprit.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You know nothing about the size of tangs, the filtration......

You guys come with these hard and fast rules and instead of being diplomatic you jump to conclusions and chase people off.

Sorry to the original poster, and yes I would start with LLD and kudos for feeding the marine algae, perhaps get some different kinds of marine algae.

If you can please put up an image of the fish that will help a lot and good luck.