yellow tang lost fin in afew hours

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by loneracer05, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

my yellow tangs back fin is missing the area is white/red.i just put him in the tank afew hours ago and he was fine his bottom fine was slightly beat up but nothing worth mentioning really.his tank mate is a fire fish, inverts(hermits,snails,urchins 2 inch purple lobster, small coral banded shrimp) could the lobster of getten him?

2. Click Here!

3. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

How big is the yellow? How deep is the loss? If its anything near the tang I'd be concerned. Otherwise it should come back just fine.

4. loneracer05

he is still small only 2.5-3 inches.the tail is completely gone ,the lobster usually hides in his cave. the tang is still swimming but now very well at all.im not sure it was the lobster. its just the first thing that comes to mind

5. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I would watch that coral banded I has one before and he would snip and cut fins off ALL my FISH! I finally showed him who was the boss.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well if the tang was freaked out and went in lobsters cave, it wouldn't surprise me. I think most crustaceans are oppurtunistic feeders eating anything that's catchable.

edit: cbs have a reputation for taking chunks out of fish too, usually at night but I don't think it could mess up a tang that fast.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

My coral banded tries to catch my fish all the time, so I would keep an eye out.

8. Click Here!

9. loneracer05

the coral banded is still very small i dont think he coulda done it. could this be an aclimation issue?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

not with the result directly being the lose of a back fin. something had to of injured it be it a inhabitant or rock falling on it.

11. loneracer05

musta been the darn lobster.this is strike 2 now that im thinkn bout it.we had a flasher wrasse get his tail chopped about a yr ago.humph thanks every1